Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

September 2021
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: U.S. Attorney

Atty. General Eric Holder Says He Recused Himself in Justice Department Leak Probe Involving Associated Press

By Sari Horwitz and William Branigin
Washington Post

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said Tuesday that he recused himself from involvement in a Justice Department leak investigation that secretly acquired telephone records of Associated Press journalists.

But in response to questions at a news conference, he defended the department’s conduct in probing what he described as one of the damaging leaks he has seen.

Holder said he testified in June 2012 that he was interviewed by the FBI in connection with the probe into a leak of classified information to the AP. “To avoid any potential appearance of a conflict of interest,” he said, “I recused myself from this matter.”

Since then, he said, the investigation has been conducted by the FBI under the direction of the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia and the supervision of the deputy attorney general, James M. Cole.

Read the full story click here.

Man Finds Out Hard Way Why He Shouldn’t Commit Crimes on Airline Flight

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Evan Castle picked the wrong place to grope a woman’s butt.

Since the 24-year-old is accused of committing the crime aboard an airline flight, the incident is being investigated by the FBI, a U.S. Attorney and federal special agents, Fox 31 Denver reports.

According to Fox 31, Castle was sexually harassing two flight attendants before he grabbed their butts.

Castle was advised Monday in U.S. District Court in Denver that he faces a charge of abusive sexual contact.

If charged and convicted, Castle faces up to two years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine.

South Carolina Man Charged With Threatening President Obama’s Life

Pres. Obama at press conference/white house file photo

 
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

A 28-year-old South Carolina man faces charges that he threatened the lives of several people including President Obama.

Patrick Randell McIntosh Charleston, S.C. was arraigned in Atlanta U.S. District Court.

“McIntosh is charged with making violent and disturbing threats online and via email to several people, including a threat to the life of the President of the United States,” said United States Attorney Sally Quillian Yates in a statement.

According to Yates, McIntosh posted on his Facebook page his plans to shoot patrons at a local Atlanta lounge and to kill the President of the United States.

After posting the various threats, the defendant purchased three firearms from individuals who advertised weapons for sale, she said, according to the release.

 

 

Top Assistant New Orleans U.S. Attorney Retires Amid Controversy

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

 Jan Mann, the first Assistant U.S. Attorney in the New Orelans office, who was embroiled in controversy, has retired from the office, along with her husband, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.

Gordon Russell of the Times-Picayune reports:

 Jan Mann was demoted from her dual management posts last month — she had been both first assistant U.S. attorney and chief of the office’s criminal division — after she admitted commenting pseudonymously on stories about federal cases posted at NOLA.com.

The revelation came more than six months after Sal Perricone, another high-ranking member of the office, confessed to authoring a raft of online rants.

The scandal resulted in the resignation of U.S. Attorney Letten.

To read more click here.

New Orleans U.S. Atty. Jim Letten Says He’ll Stay Involved in Community and Comments on Scandal

New Orleans U.S. Attorneys Falls in Online Scandal

U.S. Atty Jim Letten/gov photo

By NOLA.com
The Times-Picayune
NEW ORLEANS — Abruptly ending an 11-year run highlighted by the convictions of more than a dozen crooked politicians, U.S. Attorney Jim Letten resigned Thursday morning amid a metastasizing scandal in his office that started with prosecutors posting anonymous screeds on NOLA.com. Letten was the nation’s longest-serving U.S. attorney, having been kept in the job by President Barack Obama despite his Republican affiliation.

Ironically, his fall was engineered by Fred Heebe, the landfill magnate who very nearly became U.S. attorney himself after George W. Bush was elected president — and then, years later, found himself a target of the office.

While it was Heebe’s filing of a defamation lawsuit that set Letten’s downfall in motion, he was finally done in by the failure of his most trusted lieutenant — First Assistant U.S. Attorney Jan Mann — to admit that she, too, had been posting vituperative online comments about federal targets.

In an emotional and strident 11-minute speech, Letten said his resignation would be effective Tuesday, but that he would stay on for a “very, very short time” to aid in the transition. He spoke of his pride in having served as the region’s top federal law enforcement officer for more than a decade.

To read full story click here.

Lawmakers Upset Over Rift Between Reno ATF and U.S. Attorney’s Office in Nevada

Sen. Grassley/official photo

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com 

Three members of Congress are increasingly putting pressure on Attorney General Eric Holder to explain the U.S. Attorney’s  dysfunctional relationship with the Reno-based ATF office, Main Justice reports.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Nevada has refused to prosecute ATF cases in the Reno office, leaving as many as a dozen cases untouched..

“The Justice Department has yet to respond to any of Congress’ questions about what happened in Reno for more than a year,” Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, said in a a statement. “It’s an abdication of responsibility on the part of the Justice Department, and if these crimes weren’t prosecuted, whether because of actions of the U.S. Attorney or the ATF, the people of Nevada should know why.”

Two Nevada lawmakers joined the call for answers.

The cause of the strained relationship remains unclear, but agents have virtually abandoned the Reno, according Main Justice.

Column: Chicago’s U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald Will Return to Public Office: Count on It

Patrick Fitzgerald/doj photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Once in a while a U.S. Attorney comes along and makes a mark not only locally but nationally.

U.S. Patrick Fitzgerald of Chicago was one of those guys.

Fitzgerald resigned and left office last Friday, leaving behind a legacy that included prosecuting the ever-chatty ex-Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Dick Cheney’s right hand guy Scooter Libby.

He left office, offering little reflection last week to the hungry media. He said he has no plans, but hopes to make a decision by Labor Day, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Among the U.S. Attorney’s, he was rock star. In the public’s eye, he was a modern-day Eliot Ness.

Was he perfect? No. But he inspired faith in the system and that the good guys had a strong hand to fight crime and corruption.

He was in Chicago for 11 years as prosecutor.

Whatever he does next — even if it’s going to law firm —  ultimately it would be hard to believe that the 51-year-old won’t end up back in public service, be it as a federal judge or FBI director or governor.

Count on it.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST