Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

September 2021
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: Justice Department

Column: Pres. Obama’s Comments May Unfortunately Reflect Attitude Toward DEA

Allan Lengel

Allan Lengel

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — President Obama is a busy guy with a lot of worries. So he might be excused when he commits a little Washington faux pas as he did during a town hall meeting last week with young people.

While discussing  “federal drug enforcement”, he mentioned the Justice Department and FBI, but not the  DEA,the lead agency in the war on drugs.

“We have to figure out who is it we’re going after because we’ve got limited resources,” he said. “So decisions that are made by the Justice Department or FBI about prosecuting drug kingpins versus somebody with some small amount, those decisions are made based on how can we best enforce the laws that are on the books.”

In many ways, it was not big deal. But the comment rubbed some folks at DEA the wrong way. Plus, agents felt it was reflective of the administration’s overall attitude toward the DEA.

“I don’t think he’s given any thought to the DEA,” one agent told me. “We’ve become an afterthought, the stepchild when it comes to the FBI and Justice Department.”

So frankly, you can’t be totally dismissive of those sentiments.

For one, Michele Leonhart, the acting head of the agency, was nominated by the president in February, but has yet to be confirmed. To boot, she’s been acting head of the agency since 2007.  The absence of a confirmation is unsettling for some in the agency.

With Mexico raging out of control, and  the cartels tentacles reaching far into the U.S., the DEA may not be   the agency the administration wants to short change — and that also means when it comes to giving a shoutout publicly about federal drug law enforcement.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Religious Leaders and Son Denounce Justice Dept. Report on FBI Shooting of Detroit Imam

detroit mapBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

A group of religious and civil rights leaders isn’t buying the Justice Department’s report this week that the FBI acted properly when it shot and killed Detroit Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah last October during a raid on a suburban warehouse, the Detroit Free Press reported.

The paper reported that Christian, Muslim and African American leaders gathered at a press conference Thursday at the Muslim Center in Detroit and said the Justice Department report was incomplete and failed to examine the use of undercover informants in Islamic communities.

“I had high hopes” for the report, said Omar Regan, son of Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah, according to the Free Press. “We’re disappointed.”

The paper said the FBI in Detroit and the Justice Department declined comment.

Luqman was shot and killed by FBI agents after he opened fire and shot and killed an FBI dog, authorities said.

To read more click here.

Justice Dept. Clears FBI in Fatally Shooting of Detroit Imam

Luqman Ameen Abdullah

Luqman Ameen Abdullah

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The Justice Department announced Wednesday that the FBI agents who shot and killed Detroit imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah last October during a raid did not violate federal civil rights laws and did not “warrant further federal criminal investigation.”

The announcement came nearly two weeks after the Michigan Attorney General concluded the FBI violated no state laws when it fatally shot a  the Detroit mosque leader during a raid of a suburban warehouse.

A Justice Department press release issued Wednesday said “the department conducted a complete, thorough, and independent review of this matter. The review included examining all documents witness accounts, forensic evidence and reports, and operational plans and procedures that were generated by an FBI Inspection Division inquiry, a Dearborn Police Department investigation, and the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s office.”

Read more »

Feds Indict 73 in Armenian-American Organ. Crime Ring Involving $163 Million in Healthcare Fraud

Scams in the WWWBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

More than 70 people including members and associates of an Armenian-American organized crime enterprise were charged in a nationwide scam involving $163 million in fraudulent Medicare and insurance billing, federal authorities announced Wednesday.

Authorities alleged that 73 people were involved in the operation of at least 118 different phony clinics in 25 states.

The scam involved submitting fraudulent bills “for medically unnecessary treatments or treatments that were never performed,” the Justice Department said, adding the defendants allegedly stole identities of doctors and Medicare beneficiaries.

“The emergence of international organized crime in domestic health care fraud schemes signals a dangerous expansion that poses a serious threat to consumers as these syndicates are willing to exploit almost any program, business or individual to earn an illegal profit,” Acting Deputy Attorney General Gary G. Grinder said in a statement.

“The Department of Justice is confronting this evolving threat here and abroad through a number of initiatives including a strengthened Attorney General’s Organized Crime Council and the creation of the International Organized Crime Intelligence and Operations Center (IOC-2) to ensure that we are focused and coordinated in our efforts to combat international organized crime.”

Kevin Perkins, FBI Assistant Director of the Criminal Investigative Division, said in a statement:

“The international organized crime enterprise known as the Mirzoyan-Terdjanian, fleeced the health care system through a wide-range of money making criminal fraud schemes.

” The members and associates located throughout the United States and in Armenia, perpetrated a large-scale, nationwide Medicare scam that fraudulently billed Medicare for more than $100 million of unnecessary medical treatments using a series of phantom clinics.”

Cargo Shipping Firms Agree to Pay $50.2 Million Criminal Fines in Price Fixing Scheme

justice dept. logoBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — Six international freight companies agreed this week to pay criminal fines totaling $50.2 million for their role in a price fixing scheme involving international cargo, the Justice Department said.

“The department’s investigation uncovered six different conspiracies harming businesses and consumers in the United States and across the globe,” Christine Varney, Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division, said in a statement. “Our investigation continues in this important industry.”

Authorities said the six companies, known as “freight forwarders”, manage the domestic and international delivery of cargo for customers by receiving, packaging, preparing and warehousing cargo freight, arranging for cargo shipment through transportation providers such as air carriers and steamship lines, preparing shipment documentation, and providing related ancillary services.”

Authorities alleged that the companies met and agreed to “coordinate various charges and fees on customers purchasing international freight forwarding services for cargo freight destined for air shipment to the United States.” The agreements came between 2002 and 2007.

The companies are: EGL Inc., a Houston-based company; Kühne + Nagel International AG, based in Schindellegi, Switzerland (K+N); Geologistics International Management (Bermuda) Limited, based in Hamilton, Bermuda; Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd., based in Basel, Switzerland; Schenker AG, based in Essen, Germany; and BAX Global Inc., a Toledo, Ohio-based company.

Mi. Atty. Gen. Says FBI Did Not Violate Law in Fatally Shooting of Imam

Luqman Ameen Abdullah

Luqman Ameen Abdullah

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The Michigan Attorney General said the FBI violated no state laws when it fatally shot a Detroit mosque leader Luqman Ameen Abdullah during a raid of a suburban warehouse last October, the Detroit News reported.

“My office’s review found undisputed evidence that Mr. Abdullah resisted arrest and fired a gun first in the direction of the agents,” Attorney General Mike Cox said, according to the News. “Under Michigan law, law enforcement agents are justified in using deadly force in these types of situations, and therefore we found no crimes.”

Abdullah, an imam, was shot 20 times by FBI agents after he reportedly fired a weapon and killed an FBI dog. The shooting occurred during a raid on a warehouse in Dearborn in connection with stolen goods.

The Justice Department is currently reviewing an internal FBI probe of the matter, the News reported.

Longest Serving Fed Prosecutor Stepping Down After 59 Years

justice dept. logoBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — There’s longevity on the job, and then there’s John “Jack” C. Keeney.

On Friday, the Justice Department held a retirement ceremony to mark the end of his 59-year career as the longest serving federal prosecutor in U.S. history.

According to a Justice Department account of the event, as Keeney “walked on stage at 3:09 p.m., the sea of Justice Department employees past and present leapt to their feet and did not stop applauding for a full minute. Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer set the tone for what he called a ‘remarkable’ day and an historic Justice Department ‘homecoming’.”

Read more »

Justice Lawyer Criticizes Agency for Failing to Protect White Voters

blackpantherptylogoBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — In a controversy that won’t seem to go away for the Obama administration, a veteran Justice Department lawyer on Friday accused his agency of being unwilling to go after racial discrimination cases on behalf of white voters, the Washington Post reported.

Christopher Coate testified before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights relating to the department’s failure to aggressively pursue a case against the New Black Panther Party, which was accused of intimidating some whites from voting at the polls in 2008 in Philly. One member was carrying a night stick, Post reported.

Coates, former head of the voting section that brought the case, criticized the department’s “gutting” of the case for “irrational reasons”, the Post reported. He transferred to the U.S. Attorney’s in South Carolina in January and has been given whistleblower status.

“I had people who told me point-blank that [they] didn’t come to the voting rights section to sue African American people,” Coates testified. “When you are paid by the taxpayer, that is totally indefensible.”

To read more click here.