Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

September 2021
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: Indicted

Feds Indict “Jihad Jane” For Recruiting Terrorists on the Internet

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Ex-Kennedy Staffer Indicted in Scheme to Get More Than $75,000 Extra in Pay and Bonuses

istock photo

istock photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON –– A former office manager for the late Sen. Edward Kennedy was indicted Tuesday in a scheme to get more than $75,000 extra in salary and bonuses, the Justice Department said.

Ngozi T. Pole, 39,of Waldorf, Md., was charged in a six-count indictment that alleged that as office manager for Kennedy between 2003 and 2007 he “repeatedly submitted paperwork causing the Senate to pay him larger salary and bonus payments than had been approved by either the chief of staff or Senator Kennedy,” a Justice Department press release said.

Fed Prosecutors: Blackwater Guards “Harbored Deep Hostility Toward Iraqi Civilians”

With troop reductions in Iraq, the U.S. will be hiring more and more private security guards. The Blackwater story should give pause to the indiscriminate use of private guards in war-torn areas.

blackwater11

By Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writer
WASHINGTON — Several Blackwater Worldwide security guards accused of killing 14 Iraqis in a busy Baghdad square in 2007 “harbored a deep hostility toward Iraqi civilians” and “engaged in unprovoked and aggressive behavior toward” them in the months before the shooting, U.S. prosecutors said Monday.

Five Blackwater security guards were indicted in December on federal charges of voluntary manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and using a firearm in a crime of violence in the shooting in Nisoor Square. The government says the guards unleashed an unprovoked attack on Iraqi civilians that day, killing 14 and wounding 20. The guards have pleaded not guilty.

Their lawyers have said the men acted in self-defense and did not intend to kill innocent civilians. On Monday, federal prosecutors filed court papers asking a judge to allow them to introduce evidence that shows the men “intended to kill or seriously injure” Iraqis during the shooting on Sept. 16, 2007.

For Full Story

Read Government’s Filing

Nevada Man Charged With Running Internet Group on How to Kill Stockton, Calif. Police

stockton-policeBy Rachel Leven
ticklethewire.com

Federal prosecutors say George Jacobsen went far beyond the boundaries of freedom of speech with his MSN Internet group that focused on killing Stockton, Calif. Police officers.

A federal indictment charged the former Stockton resident with creating and managing the MSN group “Ways2KillAStocktonPolice Officer” and “StocktonCityWatch”, which included postings of threatening messages.

“Any time an officer is threatened is a serious matter. However, the defendant’s outrageous online threats to kill Stockton police officers and their children is beyond the pale and worthy of every day he is confined in federal prison,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Lawrence G. Brown in a prepared statement.

Specifically, Jacobsen, 46, of Reno, Nev., faces four counts of transmitting threatening communications in interstate commerce. He could get up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Jacobsen ” created a photo album on ‘Ways2KillAStocktonPoliceOfficer’ entitled ‘hit list’, with photographs of police officers that included messages.” The indictment was announced late last week.

” He created numerous links on that web group which included: ” ’22 Ways to kill a Stockton Police Officer with your hands’, ‘Police Officers Home Address And family info’; ‘How to blow up a police car’, ‘The Joy of Killing Young Republicans’, ‘Revenge on Police officers Children at college’, ’10 Ways To Kill A Police Officer’,  ‘Kill a Cop’, and ‘Stockton Police Officers Damned to Hell’,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in a press release.

Authorities say he focused his death threats specifically on at least four police officers.

The FBI investigated the case with the help of the Stockton Police.

Read Indictment

Reputed Chicago Mob boss Michael “The Large Guy” Sarno, a Cop and 5 Others Indicted

chicagomap

MIKE ROBINSON
Associated Press
CHICAGO – A reputed mob boss, a police officer and five other men were charged Thursday in a sweeping racketeering indictment that alleges eight years of armed robberies, burglaries, jewel thefts and arson based in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Michael “The Large Guy” Sarno, 51, of Westchester allegedly masterminded much of the group’s illegal activity, including a February 2003 pipe-bomb explosion that wrecked the storefront offices of a company distributing video poker machines.

Prosecutors say the bombing was a message from organized crime to stop intruding on its $13-million-a-year video poker gambling business.

For Full Story

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

DEA Agent Indicted on Charges of Lying that Resulted in 17 Wrongly Charged

cleveland

This has the makings of an ugly ugly public relations mess.

By John Caniglia
Cleveland Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND – An agent of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration was indicted today on charges that he lied repeatedly in a botched 2005 drug case that caused 17 people to be wrongly charged.

Lee Lucas, a 19-year veteran, was charged in U.S. District Court in Cleveland with perjury, making false statements, obstruction of justice and violating a person’s civil rights involving a case that resulted in 26 arrests in Mansfield.

A federal grand jury spent 17 months investigating Lucas’ role in the Mansfield case, a case that years later prompted judges and juries to drop charges against 23 of the people arrested.

Lucas, 41, was known for his intense work ethic, especially when teaming up with Cleveland police narcotics officers. He led a DEA task force that swooped up cocaine and sent scores of people to prison.

But his career, which began in Miami and later Bolivia, often was clouded with controversy and questions about his credibility.

For Full Story

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Ex-Gov Blagojevich and His Brother and Four Others Indicted in Chicago

Ex-Gov. Blagojevich

Ex-Gov. Blagojevich

The scandal is only getting bigger. All it will take is for some of the defendants to start talking and it will grow even more. Expect the ex-Gov to hit the airwaves denying guilt.

BY NATASHA KORECKI, CHRIS FUSCO AND STEVE WARMBIR
Chicago Sun-Times
CHICAGO — A federal grand jury today has lodged sweeping corruption charges against former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, his brother, Robert, two former top aides, as well as a prominent Downstate businessman.

The 19-count indictment charges that corruption started under the former governor’s reign almost as soon as he was elected office in 2002.

Blagojevich himself was charged in 16 felony counts including racketeering, conspiracy, wire fraud, extortion conspiracy, attempted extortion and making false statements.

Also charged as co-defendants were Alonzo Monk, Blagojevich’s former chief of staff; John Harris, his most recent chief of staff who is expected to be a witness in the case; chief Blagojevich fundraiser Christopher G. Kelly; and Springfield powerbroker William F. Cellini.

The 75-page indictment makes numerous references to the former governor’s wife, Patti Blagojevich, who got thousands of dollars from Blagojevich fund-raiser Tony Rezko, who was convicted on public corruption charges last year. She has not, however, been charged with any crimes.

“I’m saddened and hurt but I am not surprised by the indictment,” former Gov. Blagojevich said in a statement. “I am innocent. I now will fight in the courts to clear my name. I would ask the good people of Illinois to wait for the trial and afford me the presumption of innocence that they would give to all their friends and neighbors.”

For Full Story

Read Indictment

Mississippi Judge Bobby DeLaughter Indicted in Bribery Case

Judge Bobby DeLaughter/gov photo

Judge Bobby DeLaughter/gov photo

We always like to think of judges as the gold-standard for integrity. We’re always reminded that there’s one too many exceptions.

Jerry Mitchell
The Clarion-Ledger
JACKSON, Miss. — The former prosecutor who made a worldwide name for himself for putting Klansman Byron De La Beckwith behind bars pleaded not guilty today to a five-count indictment in court, accused of ruling in favor of the former lawyer once called Mississippi’s “king of torts.”
An April 6 trial was set for Hinds County Circuit Judge Bobby DeLaughter in federal court in Oxford on a charge he was influenced to rule in favor of former high-profile lawyer Dickie Scruggs, who was sentenced this week to seven years in prison in the case.
DeLaughter, who entered the courtroom wearing a dark suit and handcuffs and leg irons, was released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Bob Norman shook DeLaughter’s hand in the courtroom and said, “I’m sorry we even have to be here.”
For Full Story