Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

May 2022
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: assassination

U.S. Arrests Second Suspect in Connection with the Assassination of Haitian President

Haitian President Jovenal Moïse. Photo: Wikipedia.

By Steve Neavling

The Justice Department announced charges Thursday against a second suspect accused of being involved in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise. 

Haitian-Chilean citizen Rodolphe Jaar, 49, is charged with conspiring to commit murder or kidnapping outside the United States and providing material support resulting in death, knowing or intending that such material support would be used to prepare for or carry out the conspiracy to kill or kidnap, the Justice Department said in a news release

Jaar is the second person arrested and charged in the U.S. in connection with the assassination. 

Jaar is accused of providing weapons to about 20 Columbian citizens who played a role in assassinating Moise. Prosecutors allege he also housed some of the Columbians. 

Jaar faces up to life in prison if convicted. 

Homeland Security arrested and charged another suspect, Mario Antonio Palacios, earlier this month. 

J. Edgar Hover Ordered Bureau to Hide That Witnesses to Malcolm X’s Assassination Were FBI Informants

Former FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover at his desk. Photo: FBI

By Steve Neavling

FBI informants witnessed Malcolm X’s 1965 assassination and were told not to reveal their work with the bureau when talking with police and prosecutors, according to a prosecutor. 

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance made the disclosure on Thursday when asking a judge to throw out the convictions of two of the three men convicted in the civil rights murder, The New York Times reports.

“We now have reports revealing that on orders from director J. Edgar Hoover himself, the F.B.I. ordered multiple witnesses not to tell police or prosecutors that they were in fact F.B.I. informants,” Vance said in court.

Based on the prosecutor’s motion to vacate the convictions, Judge Ellen Biben exonerated Muhammad A. Aziz, 83, and Khalil Islam, who died in 2009. Thomas Hagan, who also was convicted in the murder, confessed to the killing during his trial but was adamant that the two other men were not involved. His conviction stands. 

The only men who said they witnessed Aziz and Islam participate in the killing were FBI informants, Vance said. The bureau never revealed that information to the defense.  

A nearly two-year investigation by prosecutors and the Innocence Project found that FBI documents also showed that a description of the assassins did not match Aziz or Islam.

“In short, it is unknown whether the identification procedures used in this case were properly conducted,” the motion to vacate stated, ABC News reports.

In a letter to the bureau’s office in New York one year before the assassination, Hoover asked agents to “do something about Malcolm X,” according to previously disclosed documents. 

2 Men Found Guilty in Malcolm X Killing to Be Exonerated Because FBI, Police Withheld Evidence

Malcolm X. Photo: Wikipedia

By Steve Neavling

Two of three men convicted in the 1965 killing of civil rights leader Malcolm X are expected to be exonerated after authorities said the FBI and police had withheld evidence in the case, The New York Times first reported.

District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. said a 22-month investigation revealed that law enforcement withheld evidence in the trial of Muhammad A. Aziz, 83, and Khalil Islam, who died in 2009. Both men have maintained their innocence from the beginning. 

“This points to the truth that law enforcement over history has often failed to live up to its responsibilities,” Mr. Vance said. “These men did not get the justice that they deserved.”

Thomas Hagan, who also was convicted in the murder, confessed to the killing during his trial but was adamant that the two other men were not involved. His conviction stands. 

Malcolm X was delivering a speech when he was fatally shot at New York’s Audubon Ballroom on Feb. 21, 1965. 

John Hinkley Jr., Who Shot Reagan, Wins Unconditional Release

John Hinckley Jr

By Steve Neavling

John Hinckley Jr., who wounded President Reagan and three others in an assassination attempt in 1981, was granted “unconditional release” Monday. 

U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman agreed to lift the remaining restrictions on Hinckley, who is now 66 and has been living outside a mental health facility, as long as he remains mentally stable and continues to follow the conditions of his previous release, The Associated Press reports.

The unconditional release would begin in June 2022. 

“If he hadn’t tried to kill the president, he would have been unconditionally released a long, long, long time ago,” Friedman said. “But everybody is comfortable now after all of the studies, all of the analysis and all of the interviews, and all of the experience with Mr. Hinckley.”

Hinckley was 25 when he shot Regean outside a Washington hotel. Also wounded here White House press secretary James Brady, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and Washington Metropolitan Police officer Thomas Delahanty. Brady was paralyzed and died in 2014. 

Former DEA Informant Among Suspects in Assassination of Haitian President

By Steve Neavling

A former DEA informant is a suspect in last week’s assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise, the agency said. 

Joseph Gertland Vincent, 55, who was one of two Haitian-American men charged in the fatal attack, became an occasional DEA informant after he was arrested more than 20 years ago for filing false information on a U.S. passport application, The Miami Herald reports.

Another 26 Columbians also were charged in the attack. 

The DEA declined to confirm which of the two Americans arrested was the confidential informant. 

“At times, one of the suspects in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was a confidential source to the DEA,” one DEA official said. “Following the assassination of President Moïse, the suspect reached out to his contacts at the DEA.

“A DEA official assigned to Haiti urged the suspect to surrender to local authorities and, along with a U.S. State Department colleague, shared information with the Haitian government that assisted in the surrender and arrest of the suspect and one other individual.”

During the attack, one of the suspects shouted that they were executing a DEA raid. 

“DEA is aware of reports that President Moïse’s assassins yelled ‘DEA’ at the time of their attack. These individuals were not acting on behalf of DEA,” said the source.

Senior officials with the FBI and Homeland Security arrived in Haiti this week to lend a hand to the island nation.

FBI, Homeland Security to Help Haiti After Assassination of Its President

Haitian President Jovenal Moïse. Photo: Wikipedia.

By Steve Neavling

Senior officials with the FBI and Homeland Security are expected to arrive in Haiti soon to help the island nation following the assassination of Haitian President Jovenal Moïse. 

“The United States remains engaged and in close consultation with our Haitian and international partners to support the Haitian people in the aftermath of the assassination of the president,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said, Reuters reports.

The officials will decide how to help after they arrive in Port-au-Prince, Psaki said. 

Moïse was fatally shot at his home in Port-au-Prince on July 7 by a team of commandos, leaving the county without a leader. 

The motive behind the attack remains elusive. 

Several Americans and Columbian nationals were arrested for their alleged role in the attack. 

Malcolm X’s Family Uncovers Letter Alleging FBI, NYPD Conspired in His Assassination

By Steve Neavling

The family of Malcolm X have made public a letter they say shows the New York Police Department and FBI conspired to assassinate the civil rights leader in 1965. 

The letter, written in January 2011 by Raymond A. Wood, a now-dead NYPD officer who was on duty when Malcom X was killed and said that he had “participated in actions in hindsight were deplorable and detrimental to the advancement of my own black people,” The Washington Post reports.

In the letter, Woods states that his supervisors compelled him to coax two members of Malcolm X’s security team into committing crimes that led to their arrests just days before the shooting. As a result, the members of the security team were unable to provide security at a ballroom where Malcolm X had been killed. He says the arrest was part of a coordinated attempt between NYPD and the FBI to have Malcolm X killed, according to the letter. 

“Under the direction of my handlers, I was told to encourage leaders and members of the civil rights groups to commit felonious acts,” Wood’s letter stated.

Woods said the NYPD hired him to infiltrate civil rights groups “to find evidence of criminal activity so the F.B.I. could discredit and arrest its leader.”

After threatening to resign, Woods said his supervisor pledged to charge him with crimes he didn’t commit. 

The release of the letter coincides with the 56th anniversary of the assassination. 

Asked about the letter, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said, “I have not seen that letter.”

“If you want to provide it to us, I’m happy to have the right person look into it after the briefing.”

Jailed Man Charged with Threatening to Kill Trump, Blow Up White House, Trump Tower

Jesse Blake, via Bedford County Jail

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

A New York man locked up in a Pennsylvania jail was charged with threatening to kill President Trump and blowing up the White House, Trump Tower, the Pentagon and the United National headquarters once he gets released from prison, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced Monday.

A grand jury indicted 24-year-old Jesse Allen Blake on Aug. 22 on charges that carry a maximum penalty of up to a decade in prison.

According to authorities, Blake mailed a letter to the FBI headquarters in Washington D.C., threatening to blow up the sites and kill Trump.

The Secret Service, with the help of the FBI Task Force, investigated the case.

In a separate case, Robert Pratersch, a 58-year-old Florida man, was sentenced to 15 months in prison for leaving three threatening voicemail messages to the office of Sen. Bernie Sanders, saying he was going to “behead” the senator “ISIS-style” and videotape the execution, the Justice Department announced last week. Pratersch also made “numerous anti-Semitic remarks directed” at Sanders.