Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

December 2020
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Tag: amsterdam

Amsterdam Residents Barely React to News of 3 U.S. Secret Service Agents Being Forced to Leave

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

While new spread across the U.S. that three Secret Service agents were sent home from Amsterdam after one of them was found passed out drunk in a hallway.

But the Washington Post reports that hard-partying Amsterdam residents barely registered the news.

The newspapers weren’t interested either.

“These are young guys. It happens,” said one driver who had been contracted to help hundreds of Secret Service agents get around the Netherlands during the logistically complicated presidential trip. “You take them to a place like Amsterdam and they have a good time,” he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because his employer had not granted him permission to talk to the news media.

Here We Go Again: Washington Post Reports that 3 U.S. Secret Service Agents Sent Home From Amsterdam For Drinking


By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Well, this won’t help the U.S. Secret Service if it’s trying to shake it rep as a party-and-get-crazy agency.

Carol D. Leonnig and David Nakamura of the Washington Post report that three Secret Service agents on the presidential detail this week in Amsterdam were sent home and put on administrative leave Sunday after going out for a night of drinking.

The paper, citing “three people familiar with the incident,” said one of the agents was found drunk and passed out in a hotel hallway.

The Post wrote that hotel staff alerted the U.S. Embassy in the Netherlands after finding the unconscious agent Sunday morning, a day before President Obama arrived in the country.

To read the full story click here.

 

Witness in “Underwear Bomber” Trial Says He Heard Someone Yell: “Hey Dude, Your Pants Are on Fire!”

Suspect Abdulmutallab/u.s. marshals photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

DETROIT — If it hadn’t have been so potentially deadly and scary, Nigerian terrorism suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab’s Christmas day Northwest flight from Amsterdam to Detroit in 2009 might have made a good Saturday Night Live skit.

Witness Michael Zantow, who was flying to Wisconsin to visit his ailing mom from his job in the Middle East as a U.S. Air Force contractor, testified Tuesday in U.S. District Court in downtown Detroit that he was sitting one row behind Abdulmutallab  (aka The Underwear Bomber) when the action started, The Detroit News reported.

Zantow testified that he noticed Abdulmutallab cover himself with a blanket minutes before hearing a loud pop, the News reported.

Zantow said seconds passed before a man sitting next to Abdulmutallab yelled: “Hey dude, your pants are on fire!”

He also testified, according to the News: “His underwear resembled something I hadn’t seen before. It was bulky, it reminded me of my son’s Pull-Ups. I assumed it was adult Pampers.”

The bomb never detonated and Abdulmutallab was arrested and quickly dubbed the “Underwear Bomber.”

Earlier in trial, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel told jurors in opening statements that Addulmutallab thought by trying to blow up the plane “he would end up in heaven because he would be a martyr.”

“He wanted jihad, and he sought it out and he found it,” Tukel told jurors.

Abdulmutallab, who is representing himself, but has an attorney assisting in his defense, was originally expected to give an opening statement. Then he handed the job off to his attorney Anthony Chambers, who decided to forgo any opening statement, the News reported.

Abdulmutallab appeared to figure he had nothing to lose by going to trial since the feds had offered him no deal considering they figured they had a smoking gun — or in his case, smoking underwear.

The trial is expected to last about a month.

To read more click here.

 

Underwear Bomber Wants Change of Venue

Suspect Abdulmutallab/u.s. marshals photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The man known as the “underwear bomber” isn’t going down without a fight — despite the overwhelming evidence against him.

The Detroit News reports that  Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is asking a federal judge to change his trial to another state, saying he can’t get a fair trial in Michigan because the media coverage created an “inflamed commuity atmosphere.”

Attorney Anthony Chambers, who is assisting Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab  with his defense, also asked a judge on Friday to suppress statements made Abdulmutallab when he was in the hospital on painkillers, the Detroit News reported. Trial is set for Oct. 4.

Abdulmutallab, 24, is accused of trying to detonate a bomb in his underwear during a Christmas day flight from Amsterdam to Detroit in 2009.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST