Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

September 2022
S M T W T F S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



News Story

Secret Service Disrupts Candlelight Vigil for Cancer-Stricken Children in Washington D.C

secret serviceBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The Secret Service disrupted a candlelight vigil for cancer-stricken children, ordering parents and their sick kids out of Lafayette Square in Washington D.C. on Saturday night, the Washington Post reports.

The Secret Service cited security precautions, effectively ending a two-day event, CureFest for Childhood Cancer.

“We ended up waiting at the gates for two hours, and they never let us in,” said Natasha Gould, an 11-year-old Canadian girl who started a blog after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor this year. “And to be clear, the entire crowd was half kids. I cried last night in my hotel room because it was my first CureFest, and I couldn’t believe people were acting like they don’t care about children.”

Secret Service couldn’t be reached for comment.

Other Stories of Interest

FBI Warns of Threats, Attacks Targeting Planned Parenthood After Release of Videos

Planned ParenthoodBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The FBI has issued warnings about possible attacks against Planned Parenthood employees after undercover videos were released by the Center for Medial Progress, 9 News reports. 

The videos, which show doctors discussing the costs of fetal tissue, has incensed anti-abortion activists.

The memo warned of nine incidents, ranging from arson to cyber attacks.

After threats to a Denver physician, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains said the organization has “increased security measures over the last couple of months to ensure both our patients and staff continue to be completely safe.”

“it is likely criminal and suspicious incidents against Planned Parenthood will continue to occur in response to the release of future videos,” the FBI warned in the memo.

1975 Video Shows How Extensively FBI Investigated Black Culture in 1960s

A 1975 video shows how extensively the FBI investigated African Americans in the 1960s.

The video features an interview with Darthard Perry, a former FBI agent, who said the bureau examined every aspect of black culture, from music to books.

“To understand the people, you have to understand culture,” Perry said in the video.

Waxlike, Life-Size Figure of FBI’s J. Edgar Hoover Removed from New York Display

J. Edgar Hoover/fbi photo

J. Edgar Hoover/fbi photo

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

A life-size, waxlike figure of J. Edgar Hoover has been removed from the FBI’s New York field office following objections from the bureau’s employees, The Washington Post reports.

The longtime FBI director who helped build the bureau is no longer admired like he used to be.

Hoover has been accused of racism and illegally spying on political enemies.

“There are no plans to display him again,” said Michael Kortan, assistant director of the FBI’s Office of Public Affairs.

Hoover is often used as an example to show how the FBI has overstepped its authority in the past.

“The reason I do those things is to ensure that we remember our mistakes and that we learn from them,” FBI James Comey said during a speech at Georgetown University. “So we must talk about our history. It is a hard truth that lives on.”

The figure of Hoover had been in storage for years before some New York officials wanted to display it along with other memorabilia.

Authorities Found 37 Undocumented Immigrants Stuck inside Sweltering Truck

Border PatrolBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Sheriff’s deputies found 37 undocumented immigrants crammed inside a sweltering hot 18-wheeler at a San Antonio truck stop and unable to get out.

Fox News reports that the Frio County Sheriff’s Office made the discovery after receiving a call about people trapped inside a tractor-trailer.

“We checked the trailer of the truck and we noticed a small little door on the back of the trailer and there were hands sticking out trying to open up the door,” Sergeant Jerry Reyna of the Frio County Sheriff’s Office told KSAT 12.

Many of the immigrants were “in various stages of heat exhaustion and dehydration” and had been trapped inside the truck for at least four hours, Fox News reported.

“They were real sweaty, dehydrated, heat exhaustion,” Reyna said. “Some of them we had to literally drag out of the back of the trailer because they couldn’t walk for themselves.”

Weekend Series on Crime History: Mobster Meyer Lansky

Lengel: Despite All the Dead Motorists, GM Gets to Pay Off Justice Department

handshakeBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

DETROIT — Imagine if you will, if former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was able to pay the Justice Department hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of going to prison for 28 years. Imagine if Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, accused of having a hand in 19 murders, was able to pay a couple million dollars to the Justice Department instead of serving life in prison.  Imagine if Dr. Farid Fata, the Detroit area oncologist who administered chemotherapy to patients who didn’t even have cancer, paid a $10 million fine instead of getting a 45-year sentence.

And then imagine, if you will,  if General Motors was able to pay $900 million to the Justice Department in lieu of having some of its employees go to prison for sweeping under the rug a gravely serious problem with faulty ignitions that resulted in well over 100 deaths.

Call it murder.  Call it negligent homicide. Call it manslaughter.

Call it a bloody injustice. Call it a shame that General Motors is able to pay off the Justice Department to make a criminal case go away.  Reuters reported Wednesday that GM has agreed to pay about $900 million in fines and sign a deferred-prosecution agreement to end a federal investigation into its handling of problems.

The Justice Department will charge the company, not any individuals, with criminally hiding the defect from regulators and in the process defrauding consumers. So what.

The Justice Department has historically failed to address some corporate crimes appropriately by letting some folks off without prison time. The message is clear in cases like this: “Just give us money and we’ll make it go away.” GM could have recalled these dangerous cars with faulty ignitions 10 years ago, but nobody made them do it, so they didn’t.  Lives could have been saved.

Sure, GM’s CEO Mary T. Barra can take some credit for cleaning house and getting rid of those responsible. Now, those folks have lawyered up and shut their yaps.

The word is that the Justice Department didn’t have enough incriminating documents or a real whistleblower to put together a solid criminal case against individuals.

But that’s no reason not to pursue a criminal investigation. If the feds could get N.Y. Underboss Salvatore “Sammy The Bull” Gravano to flip and rat out his boss, John Gotti, they could certainly have worked the case more and gotten some white collar workers to flip on co-workers.

Again, Mary Barra and GM should get some credit for cooperating with a federal investigation and offering payouts to victims, but that shouldn’t mean a free pass for those who could have acted responsibly and saved lives.

The $900 million is certainly a lot of money to you and I. But for GM, that’s a quarterly earning. GM can absorb that.

We rely on the automakers to produce a safe product, one that many of us rely on nearly everyday of our adult lives.  We don’t expect the automakers to be perfect and always produce a flawless product.

But we do expect them to respond appropriately, and in a timely manner, when they realize a flaw in their product could kill us.

Unfortunately, the Justice Department has once again sent a message to the automakers that cover ups are OK, so long as you have the money to pay for them when you get caught.

Friend of Alleged Charleston Church Shooter Arrested by FBI

handcuffsBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The FBI on Thursday arrested a man who gave shelter to the accused Charleston church shooter, Dylann Roof, and then allegedly lied to investigators in an attempt to cover up for his friend.

The Washington Post reports that Joey Meek is expected to be arraigned today on charges of making false statements to federal officials and “misprision of a felony.”

“We knew it was going to happen,” his girlfriend told the Post, referring to the arrest, “but we don’t understand why it was happening.”

The FBI believes Roof stayed at Meek’s trailer in Lexington County in the weeks before the shooting.