Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



News Story

Family of Man Fatally Shot by FBI to File Wrongful Death Claim

fbigunbadgeBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

David Coborubio was at his friend’s house playing video games in Los Angeles County when the FBI entered the house on Aug. 25 and fatally shot him in the chest.

The 31-year-old’s family plans to file a wrongful death claim against the FBI and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department,  89.3 KPCC reports. 

The search warrant was for his friend, Paul White, who was wanted on a parole violation.

The family’s attorney said Coborubio ran toward the backdoor of the home when he and his friend saw an armed man at a gate at the end of the driveway.

Coborubio said she heard three gunshots, followed by someone yelling “FBI.”

“He lay dying on the door of my bedroom,” Martinez said. “He came to warn me. … I saw my baby at the door of my room dying.”

The FBI declined to say whether Coborubio was armed or if agents believed he was armed.

“In order to carry out a fair and objective investigation, we have not provided details beyond what was contained in the statement,” said spokeswoman Laura Eimiller.

Other Stories of Interest

FBI Asks for Public’s Help in Decade-Old Murder of 13-Year-Old Girl

Alexandra AnayaBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Alexandra Anaya was 13 years old when she was found dismembered in the Little Calumet River in Indiana in 2005.

Now the FBI is urging the public to help solve the decade-old homicide as part of a taste force to investigate unsolved crimes, the Chicago Tribune reports. 

Alexandra went missing from her Northwest Indiana home and wa found dead three days later.

“We’re asking for the public’s assistance in bringing the individual responsible for this crime to justice, giving Alex and her family peace of mind and closure,” lead FBI Special Agent Courtney Corbett told reporters at the agency’s Near West Side headquarters.

CIA Misled FBI About Smear Campaign of Pentagon Papers Leak

ppheadlineBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

When the CIA tried to damage the reputation of Daniel Ellsberg, the man who leaked secret Vietnam documents to the press, the agency’s director at the time offered misleading information to the FBI.

The revelations came to light after the legal watchdog Judicial Watch obtained a 155-page CIA inspector general’s report, USA Today reports. 

The June 1972 memo from CIA Director Richard Helms to his deputy asked the FBI to “desist from expanding this investigation into other areas which may well, eventually, run afoul of our operations.”

According to the report, the CIA was very concerned about the Pentagon Papers, which the New York Times would publish.

“The collective totality of Agency material in the Pentagon Papers would tell any sophisticated or professional outsider a very great deal about how the Agency goes about doing its business,” the report said. “This would constitute a major windfall for any hostile intelligence service and greatly facilitate future denigration operations, including the preparation of fabricated documents, forgeries or other types of tailored disinformation.

“It is against this backdrop that the Administration’s concern and efforts against Ellsberg must be viewed,” the report continued. “Not only did they feel that an example must be made of Ellsberg to forestall future leaks, but also they felt that if he were in touch with the Soviets, as had been rumored, it was of vital importance to identify his contacts. The concern was legitimate, the means to achieve their ends was, to say the least, questionable.”

Secret Service: Trump’s Last-Minute Trip to Mexico Endangered Himself, Agents

Donald Trump

Donald Trump

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Donald Trump’s last-minute trip to Mexico endangered both himself and the Secret Service agents who protect him, The Daily Beast reports. 

“It definitely puts lives at risk,” said Jonathan Wackrow, a 14-year Secret Service veteran, who spent his last five years in the service on Obama’s detail. “The stress is unbelievable because you have to have a plan for every contingency… but the time to think of it has been reduced from two weeks to two days.

“These things are always a nightmare. I don’t mean to be hyperbolic… anything that can go wrong does go wrong on a trip with a short timeline,” said Dan Bongino, a retired Secret Service agent who coordinated President Obama’s visits to Prague, Jakarta and Afghanistan.

A 25-year veteran of the Secret Service added, “Everyone’s working hard on the campaign trail to keep everybody safe and prevent anyone from being embarrassed, but that’s difficult when you have these last-minute trips.”

While Trump said the trip was successful, Mexico’s president said that the Republican presidential candidate lied about not discussing whether Mexico would pay for the wall.

Brothers Charged After Shootout with DEA Agents in Illinois

dea-badgeBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Two brothers accused of engaging in a shootout with DEA agents near a mall in Joliet, Ill., have been charged in connection with the incident.

Adan and Fernando Godinez have been charged with multiple gun and drug charges, NBC Chicago reports. 

During the shootout, Adan Godinez was shot in the leg.

Adan Godinez is accused of trying to sell two kilograms of cocaine, valued at $70,000, to an undercover FBI agent in August.

During the alleged drug deal, law enforcement officials tried to arrest the brothers, but Adan Godinez pulled out a firearm and shot at the officers, who were not injured.

The officers returned fire, shooting Adan Godinez.

“It’s a scary situation,” DEA spokesperson Dennis Wichern said said Tuesday. “It’s just a reminder, guys and gals, how dangerous it is at times for law enforcement.”

Other Stories of Interest

Democrats Urge FBI to Investigate Possible Ties Between Russia, Trump Campaign

hacker-istock-photoBy Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Democratic lawmakers are urging the FBI to investigate Donald Trump campaign advisers to determine whether they were involved in the suspected Russian hacking of election systems in two states and the party’s political organizations.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid wrote a letter to FBI Director Jame Comey on Aug. 27, asking for an investigation into suspected Russian interference in the presidential election, The Washington Post reports. 

The letter refers to two Trump advisors who have been accused of having connections to Russia. One of Trump’s longtime friends, Roger Stone, claimed he was in touch with Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. And Trump’s foreign policy advisor, Carter Page, traveled to Moscow in July.

“The prospect of individuals tied to Trump, Wikileaks and the Russian government coordinating to influence our election raises concerns of the utmost gravity and merits full examination,” Reid wrote, referring to Stone.

Four House Democrats made a similar request of Comey on Tuesday afternoon.

Serious questions have been raised about overt and covert actions by Trump campaign officials on behalf of Russian interests,” they wrote. “It is critical for the American public to know whether those actions may have directly caused or indirectly motivated attacks against Democratic institutions and our fundamental election process.”

State Department: FBI Recovered 30 New Benghazi Emails from Clinton’s Server

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The State Department says it recovered about 30 emails from Hillary Clinton’s private server that may be related to the Benghazi attack in 2012.

State Department lawyers told U.S. District Court Judge Amit P. Mehta that the emails were not included in the 55,000 pages previously turned over by Clinton, the Chicago Tribune reports. 

Before the emails are released, the State Department said it needs until the end of September to comb through the emails and redact any classified information.

Mehta urged the State Department to speed up the review and questioned the amount of time it would take to release the documents.

The hearing is part of a lawsuit filed by the conservative group Judicial Watch, which has sued the government for access to the records.

The discovery raises questions about whether Clinton lied when she maintained that she only deleted emails that weren’t related to her job as secretary of state.

Homeland Security Director to Deliver Speech at Duke University for 9/11 Anniversary

Jeh Johnson

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson

By Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Homeland Security Director Jeh Johnson will discuss counterterrorism and new threats to the U.S. at Duke University’s Stanford School of Public Policy on Sept. 8, just three days before the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Duke Today reports the event is free and open to the public.

Johnson, who took the helm at Homeland Security in 2013, will bring a lot of experience on the issues to the speech.

“Jeh Johnson has had a seat at the table in the key decisions about U.S. security policy over the past seven and a half years,” said David Schanzer, a Sanford School professor and director of the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security.

“Secretary Johnson is a thoughtful leader and a man of integrity and is uniquely positioned to share his insights on national security,” added Gen. Martin Dempsey, retired chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and current Rubenstein Fellow at Duke.

The speech is the fifth annual event to commemorate the 9/11 attacks.