Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



News Story

New Sequel To Weekend At Bernie’s: Fed Judge Orders Bernie Madoff Confined to his $7 Million Penthouse

There are worse things than being confined to a $7 million penthouse in New York. Then again, these days there are better people to be than Bernie Madoff.

BY THOMAS ZAMBITO and CORKY SIEMASZKO
New York Daily News
NEW YORK — The most hated con man in New York will be trapped in a gilded cage until he goes to trial.
Fallen financier Bernard Madoff Friday was ordered confined to his $7 million upper East Side penthouse 24 hours a day by a Manhattan federal judge.
Madoff was already wearing an electronic ankle bracelet and required to be home from 7 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Magistrate Judge Theodore Katz agreed to tighten Madoff’s bail conditions after federal prosecutors – worried about death threats and determined that he stand trial for engineering a $50 billion Ponzi scheme – cited the need to prevent “harm or flight.”
For Full Story

A 2007 Chat With Bernie Madoff

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1NTIlO-FM

Fed Employee Accuses the Prosecution in Sen. Stevens Case of Misconduct

Sen. Stevens/official photo

Sen. Stevens/official photo

With this latest allegations, coupled with the judge chastising the prosecution on more than one occasion during trial, don’t be surprised to see the U.S. Court of Appeals call for a new trial. Then again, don’t be surprised to see President Bush pardon Stevens in the final days of his administration.

By Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writer
WASHINGTON — A federal employee with extensive knowledge of the investigation and corruption trial of Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) has filed a whistle-blower complaint alleging that the government intentionally withheld evidence and committed other misconduct.
Among the accusations were that the government intentionally “schemed to relocate a witness” and that an employee working on the investigation accepted artwork and employment for a relative from a cooperating source, according to a legal ruling issued late last night by the federal judge who presided over Stevens’s trial.
The allegations echo long-running complaints raised by Stevens’s defense team. U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan chastised prosecutors several times for their handling of evidence and witnesses.
For Full Story

Read Court Document

Missouri Man Who Appeared on 60 Minutes is Sentenced to 5 Years For Impersonating a DEA Agent

Bill Jakob’s fun adventure — posing as a DEA agent and busting drug dealers in a small Missouri town — ended very badly for him. Lesson learned: Kids, don’t try this at home.

By Robert Patrick
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
ST. LOUIS — William Anthony Jakob, the man who posed as a federal agent in the tiny town of Gerald, Mo., was sentenced in U.S. District Court today to five years in prison.
The sentence was no surprise — it was part of the plea deal Jakob had with prosecutors.
Jakob, 36, of Washington, Mo., pleaded guilty in September to 23 felony charges. At that time, he admitted in court that he pretended at various times to be a Drug Enforcement Administration agent, a U.S. marshal and an agent for a multijurisdictional task force after arriving in Gerald in March.
Gerald is a town in Franklin County. The case made national news when Jakob granted an interview to “60 Minutes.” In that interview, aired last month, Jakob said he got an adrenalin rush from his drug busts. He said his work gave him a sense of purpose.
Jakob waived a shotgun and a pistol while raiding private homes, handcuffing the occupants and even making arrests, according to court testimony.
For Full Story

Read Indictment

60 Minutes Appearance Several Weeks Before Sentencing

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdL5Jyn3mdA

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Bob Woodward Talks About the FBI Agent Known as “Deep Throat”

Breaking News: Gov. Blagojevich Says He’s Innocent and Will Fight “Until I Take My Last Breath”

By Jon Perkins
ticklethewire.com
Scandal-plagued Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich  stood before a packed Chicago news conference Friday and defiantly vowed to remain on the job and fight charges of public corruption leveled at him by federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald.
“I am not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing,” Blagojevich said. “I will fight, I will fight, I will fight until I take my last breath.”
Blagojevich was arrested Dec. 9 on a host of charges including an allegation that he tried to sell the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama. Blagojevich has hired celebrated Chicago defense lawyer Ed Genson, who has represented the governor before an Illinois impeachment panel. No trial date has been set.
“I am dying to show you how innocent I am,” Blagojevich said. “I have done nothing wrong. I intend to stay on the job.” He asked Illinoisans to be patient and not rush to judgment.
The embattled governor appeared to refer to Fitzgerald and other critics as a “political lynch mob” that is making false accusations. He said he will not “talk in 30 second sound bites” and will answer the charges in the appropriate forum. He also said that powerful forces have arrayed against him,”it’s kind of lonely right now,” but, “I have the most powerful ally of all on my side — the truth.”
“I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated.”
Randall Samborn, a spokesman for Fitzgerald, declined to comment after the press conference.

Video of Gov. Blagojevich Press Conference

Fla. Businessman Convicted of Hiring Hitman to Kill IRS Agent

In the end, Randy Nowak probably figured out there’s probably better ways to fight the IRS. And maybe cheaper.

By Jason Geary
THE LEDGER
TAMPA, Fla. — Mulberry businessman Randy Nowak was found guilty Thursday of trying to hire a hit man for $20,000 to kill an Internal Revenue Service agent auditing his business.
A U.S. District Court jury spent about one hour and 45 minutes deliberating before finding Nowak guilty as charged.
Earlier this year, Nowak, 49, was indicted on two federal charges related to attempting to kill IRS agent Christine Brandt because she was investigating his business and to using cell phones to arrange the murder-for-hire plot.
For Full Story

Read Criminal Complaint

See Video

Egyptian Student Gets 15 Years For Making Terrorist-Related YouTube Video

YouTube is normally considered a great venue for entertainment. In this case, it cost a university student his freedom.

By MITCH STACY
Associated Press Writer
TAMPA, Fla. — An Egyptian student attending a Florida university was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday for making a YouTube video showing would-be terrorists how to turn a remote-control toy into a bomb detonator.
U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday said the public needed to be protected from 27-year-old Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed, who made the video “to empower others through his teaching to deliver death, destruction and, at the very least, panic.”
Merryday handed the maximum sentence to the former University of South Florida graduate student, brushing aside his attorneys’ pleas for leniency and the minimum eight-year sentence.
“This is an intelligent man who made a very bad mistake,” one his attorneys, Linda Moreno, said afterward. “This is a sad day.”
For Full Story

Read Sentencing Memorandum