Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



News Story

Ex-Detroit Prosecutor Convertino Asks Appeals Court to Reinstate Suit Against Justice Dept.

Ex-Prosecutor Richard Convertino

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

DETROIT — Here we go again?

We shall see.

Ex-Detroit fed prosecutor Richard Convertino is asking a federal appeals court in D.C. to reinstate his privacy suit against the Justice Department over info leaked to Detroit Free Press reporter David Ashenfelter, the BLT: Blog of LegalTimes reported.

Convertino, who was acquitted on obstruction charges in a high-profile terrorism case he prosecuted, has alleged that the Justice Dept. leaked info to the Detroit Free Press about an ethics investigation into his conduct.

U.S. District Judge Royce Lambert in D.C. in March dismissed the suit, saying it had dragged on too long, and that after seven years, Convertino was no closer to figuring out who leaked the information.

“Despite seven years of dedicated effort, Convertino is no closer to identifying the source(s) of the leak today than he was when this litigation commenced,” the judge wrote in his ruling.

“In sum, Convertino has made a monumental effort to identify Ashenfelter’s source(s) and has had absolutely no success. Moreover, OIG (Office of Inspector General) conducted its own extensive investigation into the identity of the source(s) and was equally unsuccessful. After seven years of litigation, then, Convertino cannot answer the question that lies at the heart of [his] case.”

“Without knowledge of the leaker’s identity, Convertino cannot establish that DOJ acted willfully or intentionally,” the ruling said.

The BLT blog reported that Convertino’s attorney Stephen Kohn argued Monday against the judge’s ruling that additional time would not benefit Convertino’s case.

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

 

Woman Who Claims to be Fed Agent with Treasury Arrested in Suburban Detroit for Disorderly Conduct

Atty. Gen. Holder Calls NYPD Spying on NJ Muslims “Disturbing”

FBI’s Shawn Henry Stepping Down After 24 Years

FBI's Shawn Henry and Atty. Gen. Eric Holder Jr. (in background)/ file photo fbi

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

FBI executive assistant director Shawn Henry, who had taken on a higher profile in the bureau in more recent times, has decided to retire, Jason Ryan of ABC News reports.

Ryan reports that Henry will step down after 24 years of service.

Henry is credited with “boosting the FBI’s computer crime and cybersecurity capabilities,” Ryan reported.

In 2010, Henry was named to the FBI’s number four spot — Executive Assistant Director of the Criminal Cyber Response and Services Branch. Just before that, he briefly headed up the FBI’s Washington Field Office.

 

Whitey Bulger’s Girlfriend May Cop a Plea in Case

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The girlfriend of James “Whitey” Bulger, who is accused of helping the Boston mobster elude authorities for more than 16 years, may end up pleading guilty, the Boston Globe reported.

Girlfriend Catherine Greig has indicated she wanted to cop a plea to harboring a fugitive, the Globe reported. Bulger, who was an FBI informant, is accused of murdering 19 people in the 1970s and 80s.

The Globe reported that the brother of one of those victims said that a victims’ advocated for the U.S. Attorney’s Office told him about Greig’s intentions. The Globe reported that it was unclear if she would be compelled to testify against Bulger, who goes to trial in November.

Greig and Bulger were captured last summer in California.

 

9/11 Co-Chairs Prod Senators for Cybersecurity Action

Thomas Kean (left) and Lee Hamilton

Thomas Kean (left) and Lee Hamilton

By Suzanne Kelly
CNN

Tom Kean and Lee Hamilton, who co-chaired the 9/11 Commission, weighed in last week on a simmering disagreement in the Senate over the best way to address the nation’s vulnerability to cyberattacks.

The two men, who now run the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Homeland Security project, are calling on senators to take more urgent action on the issue of cybersecurity. They cite recent public statements by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and FBI DIrector Robert Mueller warning that the cyber threat is expected to overshadow other terrorist threats facing the United States in the not-too-distant future.

“Much like the situation before the September 11, 2001, attacks, the federal government is not adequately organized to deal with a significant emerging national security threat,” said Kean, former governor of New Jersey; and Hamilton, a former congressman from Indiana, in a letter sent to Senate leaders urging action on cybersecurity.

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Weekend Series on Crime: Gen. Manuel Noriega

Ex-Ohio Commissioner Convicted of Bribery and Taking Gifts Including Prostitutes

Jimmy Dimora

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Make that number 50.

Ex-Cuyahoga County, Ohio, commissioner Jimmy Dimora was convicted Friday on public corruption charges that involved taking bribes and gifts and prostitutes.

He becomes the 50th person  convicted in an ongoing  federal investigation into corruption in Cuyahoga County, which includes Cleveland.

A federal jury convicted him of racketeering, bribery, conspiracy, Hobbs Act conspiracy, tax charges and other crimes. Co-defendant Michael Gabor, 52, was also conviced.

Both men were ordered detained.

Authorities said that Dimora took more than $166,000 worth of bribes in the form of cash, home improvements, lavish meals at high-end restaurants, services from prostitutes, gambling trips to Las Vegas and Canada, and other items, according to testimony.

In exchange, he Dimora helped steer contracts to allies, get jobs and raises for associates, intercede with judges on pending cases, lobby for grants and favorable loans for people who paid him and other official actions, according to testimony.