Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



FBI

Sen. Schumer Wants NYPD Chief Ray Kelly as Next FBI Director

NYPD Commissioner Kelly/nypd photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — As the September retirement date for FBI director Robert S. Mueller III approaches, speculation on his successor continues to make news.

New York’s top cop, Ray Kelly, whose name has surfaced in the past, got a little boost from New York’s Sen. Charles Schumer, who said he believes Kelly is the best candidate, the New York Daily News reported.

“I think the country needs him,” Schumer told the Daily News. “Ray Kelly is a world-class choice, and he’s at the top of the list, whether it’s fighting terrorism, drug crime or street crime.”

Schumer told the Daily News he would promote Kelly as a successor with the Justice Department and the White House.

“He’s the preeminent law enforcement person in the country,” said Schumer. “He knows more about this than anyone.”

Arguments run both ways — pro and con — for installing Kelly in that post.

The upside: He’s a  legend in New York law enforcement, and has the credentials. He worked his way up through the police department. He served as chief from 1992 to 1994 and then returned as chief in 2002 and has been around ever since.

He knows how to run a big operation. And he has federal law enforcement experience.

From 1996 to 1998, he was Under Secretary for Enforcement at the U.S. Treasury Department. He supervised the Department’s Customs Service, Secret Service, ATF, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

From 1998 to 2001, he served as Commissioner of the U.S. Customs Service, and managed 20,000 employees.

But the argument against him goes like this: It’s 10 year appointment. He’s 69, which would make him 79 at the end of his term. Some think that’s too old.

Plus, he’s not exactly beloved at the FBI. He’s butted heads with the agency over the years.

Other names for successor include John Pistole, the former number two person at FBI headquarters, who left to become head of the Transportation Security Administration and Chicago U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald.

Reader Comments

Comment from fedupgman | [e]
Time March 14, 2011 at 12:21 am

Just what the FBI needs…a director who has taken every opportunity that he can to stiff arm the FBI and run his own game–even at the cost of blowing a huge terrorism case.

No thanks, Chuckie–you keep him in NY where he can continue to play the role of big city chief.

Hijacking of Wireless Router Brings FBI Knocking in Child Porn Case

13 Somalis and 1 Yemini Pirate Indicted in Deaths of 4 Off Somali Coast


By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The feds have indicted 13 Somalis and one Yemeni pirate in Norfolk, Va., in the tragic hijacking of a 54-foot yacht off the Somali coast that resulted in the death of four U.S. citizens last month following a five-day standoff with American authorities, the FBI said.

“This is a horrific crime, involving the armed hijacking of an American ship and the slaughter of American citizens,” said U.S. Neil H. MacBridge. “The alleged pirates will now face justice in an American courtroom.”

“These 14 men are alleged to have been willing to do anything, including killing their hostages, in a vain attempt to obtain ransom,” added FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Janice Fedarcyk of the New York office, which investigated the case. “Modern day piracy has real and serious consequences, disrupting commerce and threatening Americans’ lives. It is a crime against the international community, a form of terrorism on the high seas.”

American authorities tried to negotiate the release of the hostages, but the pirates allegedly killed all of them before authorities made the arrests.

2 NY Lawmakers Among 8 Indicted in Bribery Schemes

Sen. Carl Kruger/gov photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Some of our politicians simply refuse to let us down when it comes to the negative stereotype.

The FBI on Thursday announced indictments against N.Y. State Senator Carl Kruger and Assemblyman William F. Boyland Jr. on charges of accepting bribes in exchange for official acts as lawmakers.

The two lawmakers were among eight people indicted in bribery schemes that collectively exceeded $1 million, the FBI said.

The FBI said in a press release that Kruger allegedly accepted more than $1 million in bribes from a lobbyist, a real estate developer and and health care consultant, all of whom were also charged.

Authorities charged that from at least 2006 through March 2011, KRUGER “received a stream of bribes totaling at least $1 million in exchange for taking official actions on behalf of the bribe payers as opportunities arose.”

And rather than receive the payments directly, he allegedly funneled them to the accounts of two shell companies established by MICHAEL TURANO—Olympian Strategic Development Corp. (“Olympian”) and Bassett Brokerage (“Bassett”).

Authorities also charged that Assemblyman Boyland accepted $177,000 in bribes from a hospital executive.

Read NY Times Story

FBI Looking into Allegations Involving Newly Elected D.C. Mayor

FBI Arrests Man in MLK Day Bomb Incident in Spokane

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The FBI on Wednesday announced the arrest of an ex-soldier with ties to White Supremacists in connection with a bomb that was placed along the parade route at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day Unity March in Spokane, Wa., on Jan. 17.

Kevin William Harpham, age 36, of Colville, Wa. was arrested and charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and possession of an unregistered explosive device. The Spokesman Review reported that Harpham served from 1996 to 1999 as a fire support specialist with the Army’s 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery Regiment.

The Spokesman Review reported that the Southern Poverty Law Center confirmed that Harpham in 2004 was a member of the White Supremacist group, the National Alliance.

“What to me this arrest suggests is that the Martin Luther King Day attack is what it always looked like: A terror-mass murder attempt directed at black people and their sympathizers,” Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Project told the paper.

But Erich Gliebe, chairman of the National Alliance, based in Hillsboro, W.Va., told the paper that Harpham is not a member of the group.

“We have a zero tolerance policy regarding illegal activity and anyone committing those acts – even hinting or joking — would not be welcome in our organization,” Gliebe said.

Va. Man Initially Suspected of Terrorism Sentenced to Time Served — 3 Months

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Authorities’ initial case against a Virginia man accused of writing on Facebook about blowing up the D.C. subway, fizzled somewhat.

Awais Yoiunis was sentenced Wednesday in Alexandria, Va. to time served — three months — after federal authorities scaled back the terrorism allegations,  the Washington Post’s Dana Hedgpeth reported. U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III  also ordered Yoiunis to serve two years of supervised release.

Younis, 25, of Arlington County, ended up pleading guilty to making threats via Interstate communication against another person on the Internet, the Post reported. He had written on Facebook about putting pipe bombs in subway cars and wrote threatening remarks to someone.

Federal authorities had searched his home, but found no materials that could have been used in such a plot, the Post reported.

Authorities had alleged in court documents that an informant contacted the New Orleans FBI on Nov. 28 and said during a chat on Facebook that Younis discussed building pipe bombs and detonating them on the subway cars.

Once the FBI began looking into the matter, the defendant made threats against the informant and her father during a Facebook chat.

The Post reported that Younis’s attorney, Frank Salvato said his client had “no intention of ever harming anyone.”

“The court and the government acknowledged that this was an isolated heated exchange with no actual or intended harm to anyone,” Salvato said.

“The time-served sentence and a short period of supervision are more than enough in this case, and my client is looking forward to resuming his normal life,” Salvato said.

id federal agents became aware of Younis in November after a Facebook user in Louisiana tipped them off to discussions with Younis, who was using the name Sundullah “Sunny” Ghilzai online. The person who had exchanged messages online with Younis on Facebook again went to the FBI in December and described how agitated and angry Younis seemed in an online chat.

“You are sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong into something bigger than you and I,” Younis wrote. “that is the problem with Americans they cant leave well enough alone until something happends then they sit there wondering why we dropped the twin towers like a bad habit hahaha.”

10 Mexican Gang Members Indicted in Consulate Murders in Mexico

FBI's Shawn Henry and Atty. Gen. Eric Holder Jr. (in background) announce indictments in Washington/gov photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Federal authorities on Wednesday announced charges against 10 Mexican members of the Barrio Azteca gang — which operates along the U.S.-Mexico border —  in connection with the March 2010 slayings of a U.S. Consulate employee In Juarez, Mexico, her husband and the husband of another consulate employee.

The members were indicted in Texas in the deaths of Lesley Enriquez Redelfs, 35, who worked for the U.S. Consulate in Juárez, Mexico, her husband, Arthur Redelfs, 34, a detention officer for the Sheriff’s Office in El Paso, and Jorge Alberto Ceniceros Salcido, 37, whose wife worked for the U.S. Consulate.

The 10 defendants were among  35 gang leaders,members and associates of the gang charged with a host of crimes including  racketeering, murder, drug offenses, money laundering, and obstruction of justice.  Included in the indictment was  Eduardo Ravelo, who was added to FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list in 2009. There is a $100,000 reward for his arrest.

Assistant Attorney General Lanny Bauer said: “Today’s charges mark a pivotal moment in our ongoing investigation into the senseless murders of three innocent victims.

“Last March, Leslie Ann Enriquez Catton, Arthur Redelfs and Jorge Alberto Salcido Ceniceros were mercilessly gunned down in Ciudad Juarez. They were – like so many other innocent victims of the Mexican drug wars – caught in the crosshairs of a violent criminal enterprise.”

FBI executive assistant director Shawn Henry said at a press conference in Washington: “We may stand on opposite sides of the border, but we stand together on the same side of the law.”

Authorities said seven of the the 10 charged in the U.S. Consulate murders, along with two other defendants, are in custody in Mexico.

Authorities said the Barrio Azteca emerged in late 1980s as a prison gang. It has since grown into a major criminal enterprise comprised of about 3500 members, including 600 active members in West Texas and Juarez, Mexico.

The indictment alleges that the Barrio Azteca alligned itself with the Vicente Carrillo-Fuentes (VCF) drug trafficking organization in Mexico and conducts “enforcement operations” against VCF’s rivals. It also gets discounts on drugs from the VCF.

Authorities allege that the group is involved in murders in U.S. and Mexico.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST