Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



FBI

Ex-FBI Agent Recorded Saying He “Kidnapped” Fugitives Back to Their Homeland in 1990s; Now Denies He Meant It

Jerry Forrester/company website

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — A former FBI agent bragged that while working for the agency in the 1990s “he routinely arrested Bahamian criminal defendants in South Florida and unlawfully sent them back to their homeland on commercial airline flights without any formal review of their cases in U.S. courts,” the Miami Herald reported.

The Herald reported that retired FBI Agent Gerard “Jerry” Forrester, the FBI’s Miami liaison officer in the Caribbean in the 1990s, made the statements in secretly recorded conversations, which were part of a defamation lawsuit.

The conversations appeared in an affidavit  that has surfaced in a defamation lawsuit in the Bahamas filed by  Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard against  New York hedge fund billionaire Louis Bacon and others, the paper reported. Bacon and Nygard both own property in the Bahamas.

The paper reported that Forrester, now a private investigator, worked for Bacon and was a consultant for an unflattering profile on Nygard that aired on the Canadian Broadcast Company.

The paper reported that the  affidavit in the defamation lawsuit  said Forrester told of a suspect, who was  initially arrested in Miami for a Bahama murder in the 1990s. A short time later, without due process, the suspect was shipped out on a plane to Bahamas where he was killed in custody.  Under U.S. law, the suspect would have had the right to fight extradition.

“I kidnapped him back to Nassau,”  Forrester, owner of JF-Investigations in the Bahamas, said in the recorded conversations. “They had him for about 10 hours and the guy wound up dead.” He later added about deporting others:   “I did it all the time. … All the time for 20 or 30 years.”

The recordings were made by former Scotland Yard detective Alick Morrison , who had been hired by fashion mogul Nygard to find out if Forrester and others were behind the negative profile on him on the CBC, the paper reported.

Forrester  chuckled when asked about the recordings, according to the Herald.

“Yes, I did say it. Was it true? No. Why did I embellish? Because I brag.”

The FBI in Miami declined comment, the Herald reported.

FBI Director Mueller Says Budget Crisis Could Leave 1,100 Jobs Open

Robert Mueller/file fbi photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — The endless political bickering over the budget could spell trouble for the FBI.

ABC News’ Jason Ryan reports that FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III told a Senate committee Wednesday that the government’s current budget crisis could result in the FBI being unable to fill as many as 1,100 positions, which includes agents and analysts. If a new budget is not passed, the bureau will have to operate under 2010 levels.

“Under the current levels in the continuing resolution, the FBI will have to absorb over $200 million in cuts; and without any changes, the current continuing resolution will leave us with over 1,100 vacant positions by the end of the year,” Mueller told the Senate Judiciary Committee, according to ABC.

“Put simply, these cuts would undermine our efforts to continue to transform the bureau and undermine our efforts to carry out our mission.”

U.S. Offers $5 Million Reward in Murder of ICE Agent and Wounding of Another; Mexico Offers 10 million Pesos

ICE Agent Jaime Zapata killed in Mexico/ice photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON— Federal authorities on Wednesday announced a reward of up to $5 million for info leading to the arrest and conviction in the Feb. 15  murder of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata and the wounding of another agent Victor Avila.

Additionally, the government of Mexico announced that it is offering up to 10 million pesos for information leading to the arrest in the case.

Meanwhile, the FBI and ICE have set up a 24-hour tip line in the U.S.

People in the U.S. can call the tip line at 1-866-859-9778. In Mexico, people can call +001 800-225-5324. Spanish language speakers will be available for either  number, authorities said.

Additionally, authorities said anyone can email info by visiting https://tips.fbi.gov.

The Mexican government has also set up a tip line: (55) 53-46-15-44 and (55) 53-46-00-00, extension 4748 in Mexico City and 01-800-831-31-96 outside of Mexico city.

Zapata and Avila were ambushed in Mexico on February 15 while traveling in their U.S. government-issued vehicle from the state of San Luis Potosi to Mexico City.

Authorities said that Mexican investigators have detained several individuals in the case and the probe continues.

Woman Threatens to Kill FBI Agent Who Arrested Her 20 Years Ago

By Allan Lengel
ticklethwire.com

Some people hold a grudge a long long time.

That would apparently include Kim Rolene Hutterer, 47, who was charged this week in Minneapolis with threatening to kill and “slowly cut skin off” FBI agent Dean Scheidler who arrested her 20 years ago for threatening to bomb a plane in 1991, the Associated Press reported.

AP reported that the woman sent an 11-page letter to the Minneapolis FBI office in October threatening to kill Scheidler and harm or kill others including judges and Vice President Joe Biden. AP reported that a criminal complaint stated that Hutterer has been threatening the agent for years and even carved a threat on her jail cell 20 years ago.

Rep. Issa Fires Off Letter Critical of Hillary Clinton for Failing to Provide Info on Controversial ATF Gun Program

Hillary Clinton/state dept. photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, took sharp aim Tuesday at Secretary of State Hilary Rodham Clinton over the controversial ATF gun program dubbed Operation Fast and Furious.

In a letter fired off  Tuesday to Clinton, and posted on the CBS News website, Issa chastised Clinton for not providing information to Sen. Chuck Grassley on the ATF program that allowed gun traffickers to pass weapons on to Mexico, all with the hopes of tracing them  to the drug cartels.

“On March 4, 2001, Senator Charles E. Grassley wrote to you requesting basic information about the connection between Operation “Fast and Furious”conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), and the December 14, 2010 firefight that claimed the life of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry,” Issa wrote. “I understand you have yet to respond and are likely to refuse Senator Grassley’s request for information without a letter from the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Rep. Issa/gov photo

“This refusal is mystifying in its own right, given Senator Grassley’s standing as the Ranking Member of that Committee. More inexplicably, your refusal stands in stark contradiction to the promise of transparency promoted by President Obama. During Sunshine Week last year, the President stated that  he had “recommit(ed) (his) administration to be the most open and honest ever.”

“Given the gravity of this matter, this refusal is simply unacceptable,” he wrote. “Therefore, I am joining Senator Grassley’s request for any and all records relating to a meeting involving the then-U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Carlos Pascual with Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer, Mr. Breuer’s deputy, and other officials in Mexico City in the summer of 2010 regarding “on-going investigations” related to Project Gunrunner and its “Fast and Furious” component….Additionally, please explain in detail the reasons behind your refusal to answer the Senator directly.”

Issa asked that doucments be handed over no later than 5 p.m. on April 12.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Az. Border Agent Shot Fleeing Mexican 3 Times in the Back, Sheriff’s Dept. Says

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The deadly drama at the Mexican border continues to play out in so many different way.

The latest: The Associated Press reports that the Cochise County Sheriff’s Department on Monday said that a Border Patrol agent fatally shot a Mexican man three times in the back as he tried climbing a ladder at the wall of the Arizona-Mexican border.

Sheriff’s spokesman Carol Capas said there was no indication the man, Carlos La Madrid, 19, tried to assault the agent before the shooting on March 21, AP reported. The agent’s name was not released. He was placed on administrative leave after the incident.

Authorities said La Madrid fled police in a truck in the border town of Douglas and was climbing the wall when another man started throwing rocks at the agent, AP reported. La Madrid’s truck contained 48 pounds of marijuana, AP reported.

The Border Patrol referred questions about the case to the FBI, which declined to comment because of the ongoing investigation, AP reported.

James F. Yacone Who Was Portrayed in Movie “Black Hawk Down” to Head FBI’s Denver Office

James Yacone/fbi photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — James F. Yacone, a decorated Army combat veteran who was portrayed in  the movie “Black Hawk Down”, and who last served as section chief in the Critical Incident Response Group for the FBI, has been named head of the bureau’s Denver office, the FBI and the Denver Post reported.

Under his post as section chief, Yacone was involved in managing the national tactical program, crisis negotiation program and a variety of mobility and crisis response assets, the FBI said.

A West Point graduate, the Denver Post reported that he served eight years in the U.S. Army and flew a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter in Somalia in 1993. The paper reported that he later became the subject of a book and film.

The New York native joined the FBI in 1995 and was first assigned to the Philly office where he worked violent drug trafficking organizations, organized crime and financial institution fraud.

In 2006, he was appointed as the chief of the FBI’s Aviation and Surveillance Branch.

In 2007 to 2009, he became assistant special agent in charge of the FBI Richmond Division’s National Security Branch.

Ex-FBI Gets 2 Years in Prison for Threatening Head of Dallas FBI

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

It’s off to prison for ex-FBI agent Carlos Ortiz Jr. who threatened to harm his estranged wife — an FBI analyst — and the head of the Dallas FBI.

Chief U.S. District Judge Sidney A. Fitzwater in Dallas on Friday sentenced Carlos, 49, to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty in December to a charge of retaliating against a federal official, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. He had been locked up since his arrest in August.

Robert Casey Jr. , head of the Dallas FBI, suspended Ortiz without pay in May after Ortiz’s wife accused him of domestic violence. They have a elementary school aged son.

Authorities alleged that in August Ortiz spoke to a friend by phone, who is a licensed firearms dealer, and said he was looking for a .50 caliber rifle, which are used by military snipers.

He also made threats against Casey and his wife and accused them of having an affair, something FBI officials denied. A friend notified the FBI. Casey fired Ortiz on Aug. 25.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, during a phone conversation with a friend, Ortiz said of the Casey, head of the Dallas FBI: “I’m definitely gonna [expletive] on his grave, I might just put a .308 down his [expletive] (unintelligible).”

During the call, Ortiz expressed anger at losing his job with the FBI, saying “and what do I have for 26 years, one more year away from retirement? [expletive]. And an OPR.”

In August, on the day of his arrest, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said agents executed a federal search warrant at Ortiz’s home and car and found a “signed sworn statement” by Ortiz that said about his boss:

“Mr. Casey has broken me as a man and human being, with his constant threats and follow through terminating me leaving with no way to sustain my son. Mr. Casey never listed (sic) to me and has left me no options.”

“Finally that if Mr. Casey was not allowed to have so much power unchecked this would have never happened.”

Authorities said the statement was in an envelope with the notation: “DAD TAKE TO THE PRESS.”