Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

June 2021
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



FBI

Mob Snitch for FBI Kills Self, But Not Before Offing Someone Else

Stefanelli/gang land news photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Being a snitch in the mob ain’t so easy on the conscience. And of course, it also involves a lot of looking over your shoulder.

Mob expert Jerry Capeci of Gang Land News reports that 69-year-old Nicholas (Nicky Skins) Stefanelli, a Gambino familiy wiseguy, killed himself about two weeks ago after wearing an FBI wire for two years. His undercover work had ended and the feds were about to prep  him for the witness stand, Gang Land reported.

Gang Land reports that Stefanelli took care of some business before he offed himself.

He allegedly killed a businessman in Bloomfield, N.J. he felt was responsible for his legal troubles “that caused the gangster to become a stool pigeon.”

Gang Land News writes: “The tragic, remarkable story of violence and betrayal played out in the Garden State over the last two weeks but has been kept deep under wraps by the feds. Law enforcement sources say Stefanelli’s suicide has severely undermined what had been a successful undercover probe of mobsters and drug dealers in New York, New Jersey and four other states.”

To see the Gang Land Site click here.

SF Police Chief Wants Mayor to Reject Legislation that Would Restrict Cops Working With FBI Counterterrorism

 

Police Chief Greg Suhr/gov photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The San Francisco police chief is urging Mayor Ed Lee to veto local legislation that would put restrictions on cops who work with the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force , the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

That word comes in wake of local legislation passed by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors that would require a written agreement between the FBI and the police department that would prevent S.F. cops from engaging in surveillance of people who were not suspected of crimes.

The paper reported that the mayor has said he will look to the police chief for guidance on whether to sign or veto the legislation. The paper said the mayor is likely to veto the bill unless major changes are made.

Police Chief Greg Suhr has said he will recommend a thumbs down for the legislation, the paper reported.

Currently, three cops work with the FBI task force.

To read more click here.

Best Man at Militia Wedding Ended Up Being FBI Informant

Hutaree members/southern poverty law center photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

DETROIT — Next time you might want to think twice before you have a guy named “Jersey Steve” as the best man at your wedding.

The Detroit Free Press reports that ring leader David Stone Sr. of the Hutaree militia in Michigan grew so fond of his friendship with a trucker named “Jersey Steve” that he named him the best man at his wedding.

On Monday, Jersey Steve, aka Steven Haug, who was an FBI informant, testified in the federal trial in downtown Detroit of Stone, his wife, two sons and three others, the Free Press reported.

The group is accused of plotting to overthrow the government with guns and bombs.

Defense attorneys have claimed there’s nothing to the charges.

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Ex-Senator Says FBI Documents Contradict Agency on 9/11 Probe of Saudis

Ex-Sen. Graham

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

It appears the 9/11 conspiracy theories are far from over.

MSNBC reports that ex-Florida Sen. Bob Graham, who co-chaired Congress’ Joint Inquiry into the 9/11 terrorist attacks, says he has read two classified FBI documents that suggest the bureau may not have been accurate when it stated publicly that there was no connection between the hijackers and Saudis  living in Sarasota, Fla.

“There are significant inconsistencies between the public statements of the FBI in September and what I read in the classified documents,” Graham said, according to MSNBC.

“One document adds to the evidence that the investigation was not the robust inquiry claimed by the FBI,” Graham said. “An important investigative lead was not pursued and unsubstantiated statements were accepted as truth.”

To read more click here.

Ex-Detroit Prosecutor Convertino Asks Appeals Court to Reinstate Suit Against Justice Dept.

Ex-Prosecutor Richard Convertino

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

DETROIT — Here we go again?

We shall see.

Ex-Detroit fed prosecutor Richard Convertino is asking a federal appeals court in D.C. to reinstate his privacy suit against the Justice Department over info leaked to Detroit Free Press reporter David Ashenfelter, the BLT: Blog of LegalTimes reported.

Convertino, who was acquitted on obstruction charges in a high-profile terrorism case he prosecuted, has alleged that the Justice Dept. leaked info to the Detroit Free Press about an ethics investigation into his conduct.

U.S. District Judge Royce Lambert in D.C. in March dismissed the suit, saying it had dragged on too long, and that after seven years, Convertino was no closer to figuring out who leaked the information.

“Despite seven years of dedicated effort, Convertino is no closer to identifying the source(s) of the leak today than he was when this litigation commenced,” the judge wrote in his ruling.

“In sum, Convertino has made a monumental effort to identify Ashenfelter’s source(s) and has had absolutely no success. Moreover, OIG (Office of Inspector General) conducted its own extensive investigation into the identity of the source(s) and was equally unsuccessful. After seven years of litigation, then, Convertino cannot answer the question that lies at the heart of [his] case.”

“Without knowledge of the leaker’s identity, Convertino cannot establish that DOJ acted willfully or intentionally,” the ruling said.

The BLT blog reported that Convertino’s attorney Stephen Kohn argued Monday against the judge’s ruling that additional time would not benefit Convertino’s case.

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

 

FBI’s Shawn Henry Stepping Down After 24 Years

FBI's Shawn Henry and Atty. Gen. Eric Holder Jr. (in background)/ file photo fbi

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

FBI executive assistant director Shawn Henry, who had taken on a higher profile in the bureau in more recent times, has decided to retire, Jason Ryan of ABC News reports.

Ryan reports that Henry will step down after 24 years of service.

Henry is credited with “boosting the FBI’s computer crime and cybersecurity capabilities,” Ryan reported.

In 2010, Henry was named to the FBI’s number four spot — Executive Assistant Director of the Criminal Cyber Response and Services Branch. Just before that, he briefly headed up the FBI’s Washington Field Office.

 

Whitey Bulger’s Girlfriend May Cop a Plea in Case

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The girlfriend of James “Whitey” Bulger, who is accused of helping the Boston mobster elude authorities for more than 16 years, may end up pleading guilty, the Boston Globe reported.

Girlfriend Catherine Greig has indicated she wanted to cop a plea to harboring a fugitive, the Globe reported. Bulger, who was an FBI informant, is accused of murdering 19 people in the 1970s and 80s.

The Globe reported that the brother of one of those victims said that a victims’ advocated for the U.S. Attorney’s Office told him about Greig’s intentions. The Globe reported that it was unclear if she would be compelled to testify against Bulger, who goes to trial in November.

Greig and Bulger were captured last summer in California.

 

9/11 Co-Chairs Prod Senators for Cybersecurity Action

Thomas Kean (left) and Lee Hamilton

Thomas Kean (left) and Lee Hamilton

By Suzanne Kelly
CNN

Tom Kean and Lee Hamilton, who co-chaired the 9/11 Commission, weighed in last week on a simmering disagreement in the Senate over the best way to address the nation’s vulnerability to cyberattacks.

The two men, who now run the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Homeland Security project, are calling on senators to take more urgent action on the issue of cybersecurity. They cite recent public statements by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and FBI DIrector Robert Mueller warning that the cyber threat is expected to overshadow other terrorist threats facing the United States in the not-too-distant future.

“Much like the situation before the September 11, 2001, attacks, the federal government is not adequately organized to deal with a significant emerging national security threat,” said Kean, former governor of New Jersey; and Hamilton, a former congressman from Indiana, in a letter sent to Senate leaders urging action on cybersecurity.

To read more click here.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST