Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

May 2021
S M T W T F S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



FBI HQ Promotes Agents Michael Folmar and Tracy Reinhold

 
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — FBI agents Tracy Reinhold and Michael J. Folmar are moving up the food chain at FBI headquarters.

Reinhold becomes the FBI’s assistant director of the Directorate of Intelligence, rising from the deputy assistant director.

Tracy Reinhold/fbi photo

Tracy Reinhold/fbi photo

Folmar becomes assistant director of the FBI’s Security Division. He most recently served as deputy assistant director of the FBI’s Training Division.

On Reinhold’s appointment, FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III said in a statement:

“Intelligence is the lifeblood of our organization; how we gather, analyze, and disseminate it internally and with our intelligence and law enforcement partners is critical to protecting our national security. Tracy’s leadership and expertise make him well-suited to oversee this crucial function.”

Reinhold became an agent on May 20, 1990 and started out at Columbia, S.C. office.

Folmar entered the FBI in December 1986 and was assigned to the Oklahoma City division.

Michael Folmar/fbi photo

Michael Folmar/fbi photo

Director Mueller had this to say about Folmar in a statement:

“The FBI’s Security Division is charged with ensuring the integrity and reliability of the FBI workforce, preserving a safe and secure work environment for FBI employees, and preventing the compromise of sensitive information. A 23-year veteran of the FBI, Mike Folmar brings a wealth of experience and the leadership skills to head up that effort.”

Read Tracy Reinhold Press Release

Read Michael Folmar Press Release

Justice Dept. Probing to See if Blackwater Bribed Iraqi Govt.

blackwaterlogo2
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The infamous Blackwater Worldwide comapny may have changed its name a while ago, but it hasn’t managed to erase its troubled past.

The New York Times reports that the Justice Department is investigating “whether officials of Blackwater Worldwide tried to bribe Iraqi government officials in hopes of retaining the firm’s security work in Iraq after a deadly shooting episode in 2007, according to current and former government officials.”

The Justice Department’s fraud section opened up the inquiry late last year, officials told the Times.

The company, which garnered so much bad publicity in recent years, changed its name to XE Services last year, though many still refer to it as Blackwater.

For Full Story

Washington Post Editorial: Obama Admistration Screwed Up on Planning 9/11 Trial in NY

new york 2The Washington Post
Editorial

WASHINGTON — THE OBAMA administration did not consult with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on security matters before making the decision to prosecute Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed in a Manhattan courthouse.

Instead, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. simply gave Mr. Bloomberg a courtesy call on the morning of Nov. 13, just hours before announcing the decision.

The failure to solicit input from the Bloomberg administration is inexcusable. Federal prosecutors normally do not — and are not required to — consult with local jurisdictions before filing charges. But this is not a typical case, and New York is not a typical venue.

To read more click here.

Column: Terrorists in Civilian or Military Court? Some Are Missing the Point

Allan Lengel

Allan Lengel

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

WASHINGTON — There’s been a lot of screaming and finger pointing lately here in Washington about charging the underwear bomber and the 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in a civilian court rather than a military one.

The complaints go something like this: We’re being too soft on terrorism. We’re giving up too much. We’re losing valuable intelligence. These people don’t deserve the same rights as Americans.  They should be charged in military courts. Period!

You can’t be totally dismissive of these opinions. But people are missing the point.

This isn’t about bending over backwards to be fair to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. It’s not about the underwear man. Frankly, it’s  hard to care about either one.

But it is about us as a nation that prides itself on following laws, of due process, of trying to be transparent for the world to see that justice can be achieved in a fair way. A civilian court seems to be the best way to show the world transparency and the American justice system.

We did it with the shoe bomber Richard Reid , we did it with the supposed 20th 9/11 hijacker Zacarias Moussaoui during the Bush years. It worked.

Even in Iraq, a public trial was held for mass murderer Sadaam Hussein. The Americans or the Iraqis certainly could have justified putting a bullet in his head right as he popped his head out of the crawl space. Few would have complained or cared.

But a public  trial was held and a just ending resulted. There was something gratifying to see justice work. Don’t we deserve at least the same kind of justice we’ve paid so dearly for to try and have in Iraq?

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Calif. ATF Opens New Office in Imperial City to Help Combat Gun Trafficking to Mexico

govt photo

govt photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Los Angeles  has opened a new office in Imperial, Calif.,  to focus on Project Gunrunner, which targets illegal trafficking of arms to Mexico.

The ATF said the office, located  in the Southern California desert,  will include special agents, industry operations investigators and an intelligence research specialist.

“With the opening of our new office and the additional personnel assigned, ATF is significantly increasing its presence in the Imperial Valley,” Special Agent in Charge John A. Torres said in a statement. “We see ourselves as being part of this community and encourage the public to join us in a combined effort to rid our neighborhoods of gun traffickers and violent criminals.”

Column: Ex-CIA Chief Michael Hayden Says Govt. Got it Wrong With Detroit Bomber

Hayden was the CIA Director from 2006 to 2009.

Michael Hayden/gov photo

Michael Hayden/gov photo

By Michael V. Hayden
Washington Post Op-Ed Page

In the war on terrorism, this country faces an enemy whose theory of warfare ends the hard-won distinction in modern thought between combatant and noncombatant.

In doing that for which we have created government — ensuring life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — how can we be adequately aggressive to ensure the first value, without unduly threatening the other two? This is hard. And people don’t have to be lazy or stupid to get it wrong.

We got it wrong in Detroit on Christmas Day. We allowed an enemy combatant the protections of our Constitution before we had adequately interrogated him. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is not “an isolated extremist.” He is the tip of the spear of a complex al-Qaeda plot to kill Americans in our homeland.

To Read more click here.

Autopsy Report Says Agents Shot Detroit Muslim Imam 21 Times During FBI Raid

dearborn mapBy Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Federal agents shot a Muslim imam 21 times and then handcuffed him during an October FBI raid in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb, a yet to be released autopsy report concluded, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Free Press reporter  Ben Schmitt, who attributed the information to a “person familiar with the case”, also wrote that the source said the handcuffing “was in line with procedure.”

Luqman Ameen Abdullah, the Detroit imam, was shot and killed Oct. 28 at a Dearborn warehouse during a shoot out with agents, who had come to arrest him and ten others for allegedly dealing in stolen property, the paper reported.

The FBI, which has publicly defended the shooting, has said the cleric opened fire first, killing an FBI dog.

For Full Story

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

He’s Back! San Diego FBI Says “Geezer Bandit” Struck Again

"Geezer Bandit"/fbi photo

"Geezer Bandit"/fbi photo

By Allan Lengel
For Aol News

Six bank robberies and five months later, the FBI in San Diego is still hunting for a mystery man in his 60s or 70s who’s been famously dubbed the “Geezer Bandit.”

His latest stickup came on Wednesday at the San Diego National Bank around 5:50 p.m. According to the FBI, the notorious robber was armed with a silver and black semiautomatic pistol when he handed the teller a demand note.

He walked off with an undisclosed amount of money.

Rail-thin, clad in a baseball cap and brandishing a gun, the man held up his first bank in San Diego County on Aug. 28. Up until mid-November, he had been robbing a new bank in San Diego County every two to four weeks, authorities said.

But this time, he waited about two and a half months before pulling off another robbery. His last heist had been Nov. 16 at a Bank of America branch.

For Full Story