By Steve Neavling
Boston Police Captain Robert Ciccolo faced a dilemma when he became concerned that his son may pose a danger because of his growing extremism.
His son, Alexander Ciccolo, was mentally ill and began talking about joining ISIS and fighting in Iraq and Syria, WBUR reports. Although his son hadn’t committed a crime, Capt. Ciccolo took the news to the FBI.
Now his son is charged with plotting to detonate a bomb at an unknown university following an FBI sting.
“Obviously, he struggled with him, and he couldn’t set him straight,” said Boston Police Commissioner William Evans. “So maybe getting locked up was the best thing. Maybe now he’ll get the medical care he needs.”
The son’s attorney thinks the father had a better alternative.
“This is a kid who should have been involuntarily committed in a mental hospital,” said defense attorney Harvey Silverglate, of Cambridge, Mass. “He would have been no danger to society. He would have been no danger to himself.”
Other Stories of Interest
- Gawker Accuses FBI of Helping Hulk Hogan in Sex Tape Lawsuit 
- FBI Investigates Death of Woman Ruled As Suicide in Texas Jail 
- DEA Chief Confidant Escaped ‘El Chapo’ Will Be Recaptured 
- TSA Sued Over Allegedly Intrusive Airport Body Scaners 
- FBI Investigates Reported Hate Crime Attack on Houston Bartender