Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

January 2014
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for January, 2014

How the Feds Gave “Macy’s Bargain-Basement-Style” Guilty Pleas in Mob Case Because of A Very Shady Witness Who Was Convicted of Sexually Soliciting a Teen

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Did fed prosecutors in a mob waste hauling case in Manhattan give two  hold-out defendants a sweet plea deal to avoid putting on the witness stand a key FBI undercover operative who was convicted of soliciting sex from a teen girl?

That likely appears to be the case, according a story by mob expert Jerry Capeci of Gang Land News.

Capeci writes:

The gangsters got offers they couldn’t refuse: low-end guidelines of 15 months for one, a year for the other. The deals were cut last week, right after a Manhattan federal judge indicated he would give the defense some leeway in questioning witness Charles Hughes about his 2008 arrest for soliciting sex from a girl he believed to be 15-years-old.

The guilty pleas close out the first of three trials that were scheduled in the 29-defendant case alleging mob control over the private sanitation industry in five counties in New York and New Jersey. So far, 19 defendants from three crime families, including geezer gangster Carmine “Papa Smurf”

 

Capeci reports that U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel said he’d allow  the defense to bring up some of the sexual allegations if the government witness took the stand.

Capeci describes the government deal as a “Macy’s bargain-basement-style sale of guilty pleas: Prosecutors suddenly reduced prison-term plea deals offered two Gambino family defendants by two-thirds.”

Gang Land News is a  paid subscription site, but worth it.

Weekend Series on Law Enforcement: The Drug War in Peru

httpv://youtu.be/PLycln2D1-M

FBI May Have Cracked Case of Pre-Dawn Robbery Immortalized by ‘Goodfellas’

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

A 1978 robbery depicted in the movie “Goodfellas” was inspired by real life events at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

CNN reports a major break in that case, in which suspected organized crime associates were murdered and more than $6 million in cash and jewelry stolen.

On Wednesday, authorities arrested suspected Bonanno mob captain Vincent Asaro, 78, on charges that he participated in the robbery. Four other alleged members of Bonanno were also arrested.

“As alleged, Vincent Asaro devoted his adult life to the Bonanno crime family, with a criminal career that spanned decades,” Loretta Lynch, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said in a statement. “Far from a code of honor, theirs was a code of violence and brute force. Those suspected of cooperating with law enforcement paid with their lives.”

Only one person – an airline employee – was previously convicted in the robbery case.

httpv://youtu.be/aC5al-btIEw

 

Nude Pictures on Revenge-Porn Site Leads to 2 Arrests for Hacking, Other Charges

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Hunter Moore, who once operated the revenge-porn website IsAnyoneUp.com, and an accomplice have been arrested and accused of hacking into computers and stealing nude photos, the Rolling Stone reports.

Thursday’s arrest of Moore and Charles Evens came on the heals of a 15-count indictment.

Moore, among other things, is accused of paying Evans for nude pictures stolen from hundreds of victims’ email accounts.

In 2012, Moore told the Rolling Stone that he decided to sell the website that year because “ruining people’s lives with naked pictures wasn’t, you know, the ideal job.”

Firm That Vetted Snowden, Navy Yard Shooter Accused of Bilking Taxpayers Out of Millions of Dollars

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

The contractor that vetted NSA leaker Edward Snowden and the Navy Yard shooter has cheated taxpayers out of millions of dollars for unfinished background checks, the Washington Times reports, citing a Justice Department filing.

In fact, investigators allege USIS received $11.7 million in performance awards from 2008 to 2010.

But that work was never finished, the DOJ reported.

USIS engaged in the practice of dumping in order to meet budgeted goals and, therefore, increase its revenue and profits,” Justice Department attorneys James Dubois and Melissa Handrigan wrote in the complaint.

Hawaii Man Gets 18 Month in Prison for Drunk Dialing FBI About Nonexistent Hijacking

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

Consider this a lesson in drunk dialing.

A Hawaii man was sentenced to 18 months in prison Thursday for drunkenly calling the FBI and falsely reporting an airplane hijacking, the Associated Press reports.

Timothy David Hershman blamed the incident on alcoholism and anger.

“I screwed up really big time, your honor,” he said. “I’m really sorry for this.”

Hershman’s attorney added: “He’s an alcoholic and he gets stupid when gets drunk.”

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

Justice Department Describes Horrifying Abuses of Female Inmates at Alabama Prison

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com

When federal officials began investigating claims of sexual abuse at an Alabama prison for women, they never imagined what they’d find inside.

ABC News reports that the environment was so obscene and toxic that the nearly 900 woman incarcerated at Tutwiler Prison “universally fear for their safety,” the Justice Department found.

How bad was it?

According to the report, a third of the 99 employees had sex with inmates. Employees organized strip shows and forced women to have sex with them for basic sanitary supplies.

Inmates who complained were disciplined, according to the report.

“We conclude that the state of Alabama violates the Eighth Amendment of the United States Constitution by failing to protect women prisoners at Tutwiler [Prison] from harm due to sexual abuse and harassment from correctional staff,” the Justice Department wrote in a letter to Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley.

Drunk Driver Crashes into Border Patrol Van, Tries to Get Away

Steve Neavling
ticklethewire.com 

Roberto Carlos Perez’s first mistake was getting behind the wheel drunk.

But his second mistake was maybe more perplexing – hitting a van with five Border Patrol agents inside and deciding to flee, the El Paso Times reports.

Perez struck the van and drove off in his 1995 Chevrolet Corsica in El Paso shortly after midnight Wednesday, authorities said.

Local police quickly found Perez, who had a blood alcohol content over .15, according to the El Paso Times.

No serious injuries were reported.