Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

November 2011
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for November, 2011

4 Congressional Members Send Letter to FBI’s Mueller and Hillary Clinton Asking Palestinians to be Put on Terrorist List

Rep. Berman was one the Congressional members who signed letter

 
By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

The U.S. terrorist data base watch could get quite a few new names if it’s up to four Jewish Congress members.

The Jewish Telegraph Agency reports that the four Congress members wrote to FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton asking that they place on the list the names of the Palestinian prisoners who were recently released in exchange for Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who had been abducted and held prisoner since 2006. The move would prevent any of those people from entering the U.S.

The Jewish Telegraph Agency reported that Israel agreed to release 1,027 Palestinian men and women, and all but a handful were convicted of terrorism related crimes.

“Each of these Palestinian prisoners has been convicted of a terrorism-related offense and should be treated as such,” said the Oct. 28 letter, which was first obtained by Politico.

The letter was signed by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the senior Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee; Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-N.Y.), the senior Democrat on its Middle East subcommittee; Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), the senior Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee; and Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

 

15 Tied to Texas Mexican Mafia Charged with Racketeering Conspiracy, Assault, and More

By Danny Fenster
ticklethwire.com

They say things are bigger in Texas, and a recent Tex-Mex plate of indictments and potential sentences certainly are.

A group of members and associates of the Texas Mexican Mafia (TMM) have been indicted with a buffet of charges that may net them decades in prison, the FBI announced in a press release on Tuesday.

The 9-count, 15-defendant indictment charges men from Uvalde and Crystal City, Texas, including:

Jorge Abel Ramirez (a/k/a “Hondo,” a/k/a “Superdope”), age 32; Geronimo Torres (a/k/a “Jerry,” a/k/a “G”), age 32; Benito Benavides (a/k/a “Benny”), age 48; Chris Gutierrez (a/k/a “Fire”), age 19; Albert Torres (a/k/a “Terrible”), age 41; Robert Marcus Castro (a/k/a “Tiny”), age 32; Eric Velasquez Solis (a/k/a “Kilo”), age 32; Mario Zavala, age 26; Rodolfo Villegas (a/k/a “Rudy”), age 31; Charles Martinez (a/k/a “Charlie”), age 29; Eliseo Sanchez, III, age 29; and Sebastian Cortinas (a/k/a “Seabass”), age 28.

Charges against the men, returned on the 12th of October and unsealed on Tuesday, cover a variety of crimes related to drugs and violence, including “attempted murder, retaliation against an informant, extortion, and distribution of cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and methamphetamine,” according to the FBI. Three of the men–Ramirez, Gutierrez and Torres–have been charged with conspiring to attempt to kill an informant on November 22, 2010.

All defendants but Cortinas are in federal custody.

Intl. Arms Trafficker Viktor Bout Goes Down; NY Jury Convicts Him

  

dea photo

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com

Bye Bye Viktor Bout.

A federal jury in New York on Wednesday convicted the international arms dealer, whose life inspired the Nicholas Cage film “Lord of War.”

The Justice Department said Bout was convicted of conspiring to sell millions of dollars worth of weapons to the Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) – a designated foreign terrorist organization based in Colombia – to be used to kill Americans in Colombia.

“Today, one of the world’s most prolific arms dealers is being held accountable for his sordid past,” said Attorney General Eric Holder in a statement.

“Viktor Bout’s arms trafficking activity and support of armed conflicts have been a source of concern around the globe for decades. Today, he faces the prospect of life in prison for his efforts to sell millions of dollars worth of weapons to terrorists for use in killing Americans.” N.Y. U.S. Attorney Preet Bharaa added: “As the evidence at trial showed, Viktor Bout was ready to sell a weapons arsenal that would be the envy of some small countries. He aimed to sell those weapons to terrorists for the purpose of killing Americans.”

Authorities said Bout was arrested in Thailand in March 2008 based on a complaint filed in Manhattan federal court. He was charged in a four-count indictment in May 2008 and extradited to the Southern District of New York in November 2010.

Specifically, the federal jury Wednesday convicted him of conspiring to kill U.S. nationals; conspiring to kill U.S. officers and employees; conspiring to acquire and use anti-aircraft missiles; and conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization. U.S. District Judge Shira A. Scheindlin presided over the three week trial.

OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST

 

 

Occupy Wall Street Snitch is Partner in Private Security Firm with Busted Secret Service Agent

By Jeff Stein
Spy Talk

WASHINGTON –A business partner of the self-appointed spy who stole hundreds of Occupy Wall Street emails last month and posted them online was convicted of using excessive force as a Secret Service agent, court records show, and sentenced to six months incarceration in a halfway house.

Kevin Schatzle lists himself as one of two managing partners at Provide Security, a private intelligence and security firm with a Web site but no physical address. His co-managing partner is Thomas Ryan, who last month infiltrated OWS and pilfered protesters’ e-mails and social network postings, which he claimed showed the movement’s plans for violence.

Provide Security boasts that its “associates are handpicked from the ranks of highly trained and experienced former agents of the US Secret Service, members of U.S. Special Forces, Global Intelligence Agencies and other premier law enforcement organizations.”

To read full story click here.

 

FBI Investigating Ex-NJ Gov’s Investment Firm

Kerry Urges $8.5M Payment to Families of Bulger Murders

By Danny Fenster
ticklethewire.com

John Kerry has joined others in urging the federal government to pay the families of two men allegedly killed by James “Whitey” Bulger, the notorious gangster and FBI informant, reports Boston.com.

As reported in ticklethewire.com previously, Rep. William R. Keating, a Democrat of Massachusetts, has already urged the government to pay the families $8.5 million in compensation they were initially awarded by a federal judge in Boston.  He introduced legislation last month to compensate the families after a federal court of  appeals tossed out the award on a technicality, saying the families had waited too long to seek restitution.

Now, the Massachusetts senator and one-time presidential Democratic candidate Kerry  has filed similar legislation in the senate urging that the original decision be upheld, rewarding the $8.5 million to the families, reports Boston.com.

“We can’t place a time limit on these families’ grief or allow arbitrary restrictions to deny them the court-ordered damages they’re due,” Kerry said in a news release. “It’s our job to make this right.”

Bulger was working as an FBI informant and running wild, and a Boston federal judge back in 2009 awarded the families nearly $8.5 million, saying the government was negligent when it essentially let informant Bulger — under its watch — get away with murder.

Bulger allegedly killed the two men after learning from the FBI that one of them was cooperating with agents against Bulger. Micheal Donahue, a 32-year-old truck driver, was giving Edward “Brian” Halloran, a 41-year-old associate of Bulger’s, a lift home from a waterfront bar in Boston on May 11, 1982 when Bulger and an unidentified associate allegedly opened fire on the car. Halloran was targeted because he was suspected of working with the FBI.

To read more click here and here.

Leonardo DiCaprio as Hoover: A Star Who Isn’t Afraid to Take Risks

 
 
 
By BROOKS BARNES
New York Times

LOS ANGELES — To transform himself into an aging J. Edgar Hoover, Leonardo DiCaprio sat for hours at a time while makeup artists gave him liver spots, yellow teeth and big, bulbous love handles. He spends a good chunk of Clint Eastwood’s film “J. Edgar” that way, sweating and sneering in the unforgiving lighting of F.B.I. headquarters.

The part also meant memorizing endless monologues that needed to be delivered with Hoover’s own breakneck cadence. Additionally Mr. DiCaprio, who typically comes accessorized with a supermodel girlfriend in real life, had to wrestle aggressively with a man and then kiss him.

Oh, and wear a dress.

Faced with a role with demands like that, most superstar actors, even those eager to catch the attention of Oscar voters, would have turned and run. Look unhandsome and unheroic? Too big a risk, even with Mr. Eastwood at the wheel.

To read full story click here.

FBI Investigating Espionage Charges of US Soldier

By Danny Fenster
ticklethewire.com

The Army Times is reporting on an ongoing FBI investigation of an Alaska-stationed soldier on suspicion of espionage.

Spc. William Colton Millay,22, a military cop, was taken into custody last Friday in the early morning hours, while the FBI and Army Counterintelligence continued to investigate, the paper reported.

Lt. Col. Bill Coppernoll told Reuters that he expected to ” prefer charges sometime this week. The news agency reported that charges would be brought under the Uniform Code of Military Justice in the military courts. Details of the allegations were not disclosed.

“Today’s arrest was the result of the close working relationship between the FBI and its military partners in Alaska,” special agent in charge of the FBI in Alaska Mary Frances Rook said.

To read more click here.