Links

Columnists



Site Search


Entire (RSS)
Comments (RSS)

Archive Calendar

October 2008
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Guides

How to Become a Bounty Hunter



Archive for October, 2008

Feds Bust Man For Posting Guns N’ Roses Unreleased Album On Web

By Allan Lengel
ticklethewire.com
Who would want to mess with a group that has the word “guns” in its name?
Well, apparently Kevin Cogill would — or at least that’s what the feds are saying
The 27-year-old pleaded not guilty Monday in Los Angeles U.S. District Court to federal copyright infringement for posting on the Internet nine tracks from Guns N’ Roses’ yet-to-be released Album “Chinese Democracy”, according to court documents.
The band has not released an album in 17 years and plans to release this one next month.
Cogill was originally arrested on the charges in August and later released.
After the arrest, the band posted a statement on its website saying:
“Presently, though we don’t support this guy’s actions at that level, our interest is in the original source. We can’t comment publicly at this time as the investigation is ongoing.We appreciate your understanding,
Guns N’ Roses.'”

Read Criminal Charges

Prosecutor Says Ft. Dix Defendants Were Inspired By al Qaeda

Are the five men on trial part of the al-Qaeda fan club or were they duped by the government?

By By George Anastasia
Philadelphia Inquirer
CAMDEN, N.J. — The five defendants in the Fort Dix terrorism trial were described by a federal prosecutor yesterday as dedicated jihadists intent on attacking America.
“Their motive was to defend Islam,” Deputy U.S. Attorney William E. Fitzpatrick told the jury in his opening statement in U.S. District Court in Camden. “Their inspiration was al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.”
Fitzpatrick spent about an hour outlining the government’s case before an anonymously chosen jury of eight women and four men.
Quoting repeatedly from secretly recorded conversations, he painted the foreign-born Muslim defendants as people who had adopted “a fundamentally violent interpretation of Islam” that justified their plan to attack the fort.
Defense attorneys, in statements that stretched over nearly three hours, offered a decidedly different picture.
Their clients, they said, were young men who had been manipulated by paid government informants into a conspiracy they had no intention of carrying out.
For Full Story

See Daily Transcript Of The Trial

Appeals Court Faults Boston FBI In Mob Killing

John Connolly/wbztv

John Connolly/wbztv

By Milton J. Valencia
Boston Globe
The U.S. Appeals Court has upheld a lower court ruling holding the FBI responsible for the 1984 killing of a Quincy fisherman by Winter Hill gang leaders and a rogue agent who leaked information to them, in a decision that could settle at least six other cases claiming the FBI had corrupt dealings with James “Whitey” Bulger.
The court ruled that the FBI tolerated former agent John J. Connolly’s treacherous relationship with longtime informants Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi, even while supervisors knew that Connolly was leaking information to the gang leaders.
That information led to the killings of FBI in formants at the hands of Bulger and Flemmi, including the murder of John McIntyre, a 32-year-old fisherman who was lured to a South Boston home, confined to a chair, grilled for hours, choked, and shot to death.
For Full Story

Controversial Protector of Whistle Blowers To Resign

It has been one turbulent ride for Special Counsel Scott Bloch. He says it’s time to go.

Scott J. Bloch/official photo

Scott J. Bloch/official photo

By Lara Jakes Jordan
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The nation’s top protector of whistle-blowers, who himself is being investigated for allegedly retaliating against employees, said Monday he will resign at the end of his term in January instead of staying on until a replacement can take over.
Under the law, U.S. Special Counsel Scott Bloch could stay for up a year _ until his successor is confirmed by the Senate _ after his term ends Jan. 5. But in a letter to President Bush, Bloch said he will leave at the end of his five years on the job, much of which has been marked by criticism and calls for his resignation.
“As you well know, doing the right thing can result in much criticism and controversy from every side,” Bloch wrote in his two-page resignation letter. “I have often been required to be the bearer of bad news but also of good results.”
For Full Story

Arizona Border Patrol Agent Goes Back On Trial In Killing of Illegal Immigrant

TUCSON, Ariz. – Defense lawyers in trial want to mention an illegal immigrant’s gang tatoo if a judge allows the prosecution to introduce testimony about the immigrant’s good character, the Associated Press reported.
The pretrial motion was raised Monday in the case of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Nicholas Corbett.
Corbett goes on trial again today on charges of fatally shooting the illegal immigrant. A hung jury in March resulted in a mistrial.

Congress Pressing For Bigger FBI Crackdown On Business Fraud

Busted Texas Sheriff Denied Bond In Fed Drug Case

Starr County Sheriff Reymundo Guerra went from a  very trusted member of the community to a man so distrusted a federal judge wouldn’t let him out on bond on Monday pending trial.

Sheriff Reymundo Guerra
Sheriff Reymundo Guerra

By Lynn Brezosky
San Antonio Express-News
BROWNSVILLE -Reymundo Guerra’s resignation as Starr County sheriff didn’t convince a federal magistrate judge to set bond for the former lawman, who is accused of using his position to assist high-ranking members of the Gulf Cartel.
Defense attorney Philip Hilder said Guerra would appeal today’s denial by U.S. Magistrate Judge Dorina Ramos. Unless overturned by a district court, Ramos’ decision means Guerra will remain behind bars pending trial in early December.
Guerra, who had been sheriff for the past decade, submitted his resignation over the weekend after Ramos expressed concern about his return to the office he allegedly abused.
The Starr County Commissioners Court approved the resignation during an emergency meeting this morning.
For Full Story

Read Unsealed Superseding Indictment

Read County Commissioners Acceptance of Sheriff’s Resignation

Atlanta Hires 24 New Fed Prosecutors In 16 Months

U.S. Atty. David E. Nahmias/doj photo

U.S. Atty. David E. Nahmias/doj photo

ATLANTA — U.S. Atty. David. E. Nahmias recently announced that his office hired 24 new federal prosecutors in the past 16 months.
The new additions include: Chris Bly, Jill E. Steinberg, David Suchar, Lynn Thesing, Richard Moultrie, Gerald Sachs, Cassandra Schansman, Michael Smith, Corey Steinberg, Christopher Huber, Matthew Jackson, Tracia King, Mary Kruger, Sally Molloy, Ryan Scott Ferber, Doug Gilfillan, Nekia S. Hackworth, Jamila Hall, Michael Herskowitz, Jeff Brown, Mike Brown, Mark Campbell, David Chaiken and Jeff Davis.

For More Details Read Press Release