More than 2,000 immigrants were released from jail because of budget concerns, but the Homeland Security secretary was never notified, according to a critical report from the inspector general.
The Associated Press reports that ICE also poorly planned for the influx of immigrant arrests at the Mexico border and failed to accurately track spending.
Information on the massive release was never shared in advance with political appointees or other White House officials of the implications of the budget cuts, according to the report.
The Obama administration initially denied an AP report about the release of more than 2,000 immigrants, but that’s because there was no knowledge of the situation, the report found.
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
- Texas Man Arrested for Letting Dogs Loose on Border Patrol Agent
- Suffolk Corrections Lieutenant Under FBI Investigation Over Pay Scandal
- Family of Man Killed in DEA Shooting Seeks Damages in Lawsuit
- TSA Airport X-Ray Scanners are Vulnerable to Hackers
- County Teams Up With FBI to Ease Backlog of DNA Rape Kits