Updated Bulger photo/wbur
Brutal mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger was a colorful figure in the underground crime word.
So it’s no surprise his trial prompted some memorable quotes:
“After I heard that they were informants, it sort of broke my heart.”
– Ex-gangster and former Bulger partner John Martorano, who served just 12 years after admitting to murder 20 people.
“They hunted their targets. These men didn’t hunt animals, ladies and gentlemen, they hunted people.”
– Prosecutor Fred Wyshak, detailing the brutal details of Bulger’s murders.
“James Bulger is of Irish descent. And the worst thing an Irish person could consider doing is becoming an informant. That was the first and foremost reason why James Bulger was never an informant against people.”
– J.W. Carney Jr., defense lawyer for Bulger
“Bulger: “You suck.”
Weeks: “F— you, OK!”
Bulger: “F— you, too.”
Weeks: “What do you want to do?”
– Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi, explaining on the stand his response to do nothing when Bulger strangled his girlfriend.
“It’s affected me and it’s going to affect me until the day I die.”
– Exchange between Bulger and his former associate Kevin Weeks, who was testifying at the time.
“We killed people that were rats, and I had the two biggest rats right next to me.”
– Weeks, referring to Bulger and Flemmi
“My thing is, as far as I’m concerned, I didn’t get a fair trial, and this is a sham. And do what yous want with me.”
–Bulger to Judge Denise Casper