Is the FBI using hackers to gain access to intelligence overseas?
The New York Times reports that an FBI informant launched hundreds of cyberattacks on foreign websites, including ones run by other governments, even as the bureau tried to dismantle hacking groups like Anonymous.
New information indicates that the cyberattacks even targeted websites operated by Iran, Pakistan, Brazil and Syria.
What remains unclear is whether the FBI directly ordered the attacks, the Times wrote.
The mastermind behind the attacks was Hector Xavier Monsegur, a hacker within Anonymous, who was arrested and in exchange began working to help the FBI identify other members of the hacking group.
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
- Stolen FBI Agent’s Gun Recovered from Accused Gang Member
- FBI Warns That Health Care Sector Vulnerable to Cyberattacks
- Justice Department Broadens Criteria for Clemency of Nonviolent Offenders
- California Mom Settles with TSA OVer Breast Milk Incident
- Video Shows TSA Agents Patting Down Children, 2 & 6