Two former federal agents are accused of stealing bitcoins while investigating the online drug marketplace Silk Road.
The Huffington Post reports that Carl Force, 46, a former DEA special agent, and Shaun Bridges, 32, an ex-special agent with the Secret Service, were arrested and charged, the Justice Department announced Monday.
Force has been charged with wire fraud, money laundering, conflict of interest and theft of government money. Bridges faces charges of wire fraud and money laundering.
Force, whose salary was roughly $15,000 a year, is accused of putting bitcoings into his personal account to pay off “mortgage, a government thrift savings plan loan, and wrote several very large checks for tens of thousands of dollars,” the affidavitt reads.
Bridges and Force worked on the plan together, authorities said.
Other Stories of Interest
- FBI Says Plot to Sell Seed Corner Is National Threat
- Homeland Security Chief Visits New Orleans Airport
- FBI Agent Accused of Stealing Heroin to Appear in Court
- Two Former Agents Charged with Bitcoin Money Laundering
- Clinton Favoritism Should Result in Firing of Homeland Security Official