By Steve Neavling
During the manhunt for two escaped murderers, Border Patrol agents swooped into the woods of northern New York after hearing reports of gunshots.
The agents spotted one of the escapees behind a tree. When he pointed a shotgun at them, the agents fatally shot the killer.
It was the first detailed report of Richard Matt’s death, the Burlington Free Press reports.
“Our agents were obviously expecting the worst on every one of those calls,” Chief John Pfeifer said. “Very challenging terrain, challenging weather, lot of stress. You’re dealing with some very bad individuals. Can’t thank law enforcement enough for bringing these individuals back in.”
Matt and another inmate escaped the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dennemora and were on the run for three weeks.
Other Stories of Interest
- Former Secret Service Official Lands Homeland Security Post
- Barricaded Bank Robbery Suspect Shot, Killed by Police
- Cardinals Fire Scouting Director Amid FBI Investigation
- FBI Has No Clue Who’s Cutting California Internet Cables
- Arsons Not Suspected in 3 Black Southern Churches