Justice Department Building Case Against Financial Institutions
The U.S. Justice Department is investigating several financial institutions and their employees over the manipulation of interest rates, Reuters reports.
Traders at Barclays Plc are among the institutions under investigation related to how banks set the London interbank offered rate, or Libor, Reuters reported, citing sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Rates are important because they determine borrowing costs for trillions of dollars in credit cards, mortgages and student loans. The newspaper also reported that some U.S. local and state governments were hurt by rate manipulation.
STORIES OF OTHER INTEREST
- FBI Probe Puts ZTE at Risk
- Trio Faces Charges in Stolen FBI Gun Case
- FBI Encourages Public to Use Anti-Piracy Label
- ACLU Sues Department of Justice of Surveillance Records
- Protesters Take Stand Against Deportation of Illegal Immigrants
Print This Post
Write a comment
You need to login to post comments!